Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: got two boxes of halves today

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    640 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening

got two boxes of halves today

Picked up two boxes today, from the bank where I saw silver in the coin counter.

Opened one before work, saw an ender! I don't see many of them. I opened that roll, not the others yet, and it was a 1967 and also there was a 1964 also!!!

so no skunk

the ender is the reverse eagle in the center

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180301_091258218_HDR.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	1557585
    Last edited by Ben Cartwright SASS; Mar 01, 2018 at 08:57 AM.
    Armor9, gold boy, Johncoho and 1 others like this.
    Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

#59 "Free advice is seldom cheap"

#92 "Never confuse wisdom with luck"

2018 Totals: 147 40% 52 90%, Dimes 5, Quarters 45

2018 GOAL: 300 silver Currently 249/300

Nov 2017
    Lorain County, Ohio
    AT Max, Makro pinpointer
    179 times
    Metal Detecting
    Good box so far!

I'm 1/2 through my box and nada yet.

Here is a questions, do the silver halves weigh the same as non-silver halves?

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    640 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    No they are very slightly heavier for 40% and 12.5 grams for 90%

BUT I have seen clad halves all over the place for weights so I don't see how you could weigh a roll to tell

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    640 times
    I have a scale so will try some today
    Armor9 likes this.

us
    Jan 2013
    Garrett Ace 350
    515 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Speaking of weighing coins, did you ever hear back regarding that much-heavier 40% that you sent in?
    Argentium, Greastart and Vdubguy like this.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    640 times
    Yes they claimed it was a thick planchet, the specific gravity was 9.85 a 90% is 10.12 but the weight is 12.53 grams.

I am thinking of cracking it and getting a second opinion from PCGS

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    640 times
    Finished 2nd box, MY VERY FIRST 2017 P!!!

1 40% 1968

BUT 51 NIFC and 2 of them I needed for my coin book.

us
    Mr.

Jan 2017
    Liberal Country (Mass)
    The only two certainties in life are death and taxes. Hell, the government here even has a tax on death.
    54 times
    Not Coin Roll Hunting
    Thanks for the info. I too am in the Metrowest, and placed several big orders from a bank that uses Loomis. Time for me to steal some of your silver XD.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    640 times
    These two boxes were my first from Loomis, my other banks are all Guarda.

Loomis has 3 different locations, Boylston, Waltham and Taunton. I am near Gillette Stadium. Banks in Needham use Boylston Loomis and Westwood Taunton, while Dedham can go either way. I found that out by talking to the Loomis office. Guarda is in Dedham and I think Needham.

I have heard so often that Loomis culls all silver out of the boxes, well this shows it is not true. I might be a nut but I got these two boxes from the bank where I saw the CC bag with silver in it 2 weeks ago, I think it came back

us
    Mr.

Jan 2017
    Liberal Country (Mass)
    The only two certainties in life are death and taxes. Hell, the government here even has a tax on death.
    54 times
    Not Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cartwright SASS View Post
    These two boxes were my first from Loomis, my other banks are all Guarda.

Loomis has 3 different locations, Boylston, Waltham and Taunton. I am near Gillette Stadium. Banks in Needham use Boylston Loomis and Westwood Taunton, while Dedham can go either way. I found that out by talking to the Loomis office. Guarda is in Dedham and I think Needham.

I have heard so often that Loomis culls all silver out of the boxes, well this shows it is not true. I might be a nut but I got these two boxes from the bank where I saw the CC bag with silver in it 2 weeks ago, I think it came back
    You have to step back and think about it for a second. The Loomis people are clever. They know that if they cull the silver out of boxes, no hunters will ever bother to order coins, and that means no business for them. So what they do is they cull out most of the silver, and leave 1-2 40s in each box. I do not believe they process the coins by the box, but for every 1000 coins the wrap up, they mix in an average of one silver. This would explain why I often get skunks, and sometimes have boxes with 5-6 40s. They make plenty of money off of the banks, at least the smaller ones, for the special orders of half dollars. Even if the banks buy contracts that have no fixed rate per box, the banks do more business with Loomis and likely buy bigger contracts.
    jr98119 likes this.

us
    Mr.

Jan 2017
    Liberal Country (Mass)
    54 times
    Not Coin Roll Hunting
    It's the aged and yet seldom-mentioned reality of 'treasure hunting." Who made more money? The average 49er or Levi Strauss?

us
    Mr.

Jan 2017
    Liberal Country (Mass)
    54 times
    Not Coin Roll Hunting
    The same goes with all those companies that sell the crazy expensive metal detectors. People buy them because they want a chance to find super valuable treasure. After hours of slogging about and playing in the dirt, they are content with finding one Mercury Dime. Grow the he11 up!

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    640 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Death&Taxes View Post
    You have to step back and think about it for a second. The Loomis people are clever. They know that if they cull the silver out of boxes, no hunters will ever bother to order coins, and that means no business for them. So what they do is they cull out most of the silver, and leave 1-2 40s in each box. I do not believe they process the coins by the box, but for every 1000 coins the wrap up, they mix in an average of one silver. This would explain why I often get skunks, and sometimes have boxes with 5-6 40s. They make plenty of money off of the banks, at least the smaller ones, for the special orders of half dollars. Even if the banks buy contracts that have no fixed rate per box, the banks do more business with Loomis and likely buy bigger contracts.

Wow, I don't know where to start, also I don't want to be snarky, but...

First since just as many people CRH quarters but you hardly ever find a silver why wouldn't they mix in silver quarters? Get more people to order quarter boxes? I am hoping you are being sarcastic about that view.

First how do you explain two recent boxes last month that each had 18 90% and 34 and 42 40% respectively? and yesterdays Loomis that had 4 90's and 5 40's?

To the best of my knowledge the way silver gets in the stream is when people dump it in a coin machine. But that doesn't happen everyday so for the most part boxes are going to be silver-free with the occasional coin and the rare monster box. From what I have seen most couriers hate hauling coins, they prefer bills. Many banks don't even know they can order halves, they are used to dimes quarters etc.

I think Loomis, Guarda, Brinks, salting boxes with silver is on par with the Lockness Monster, big foot, 9/11 being done by the US government... It is interesting to talk about but is it real?

us
    Mr.

Jan 2017
    Liberal Country (Mass)
    54 times
    Not Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cartwright SASS View Post
    Wow, I don't know where to start, also I don't want to be snarky, but...

First since just as many people CRH quarters but you hardly ever find a silver why wouldn't they mix in silver quarters? Get more people to order quarter boxes? I am hoping you are being sarcastic about that view.

First how do you explain two recent boxes last month that each had 18 90% and 34 and 42 40% respectively? and yesterdays Loomis that had 4 90's and 5 40's?

To the best of my knowledge the way silver gets in the stream is when people dump it in a coin machine. But that doesn't happen everyday so for the most part boxes are going to be silver-free with the occasional coin and the rare monster box. From what I have seen most couriers hate hauling coins, they prefer bills. Many banks don't even know they can order halves, they are used to dimes quarters etc.

I think Loomis, Guarda, Brinks, salting boxes with silver is on par with the Lockness Monster, big foot, 9/11 being done by the US government... It is interesting to talk about but is it real?
    They obviously don't bother sorting out silver quarters since there is far less silver, and almost all quarters that are ordered go to businesses and non-collectors anyways, so there would be no point to cull Washingtons for the AG. The only people who order halves are collectors. I've never had any really good boxes with Loomis; always S&S or Brinks that gives me collection dumps. And also, I recently placed a full 10k order and got a total of 5 40s (from Loomis boxes). But now that I can see the figures you posted, and I know we prob. live within 20 miles of each other, I'm ordering the crap out of all the Loomis-using banks in centeral Msx Cty. It's on.

us
    Mr.

Jan 2017
    Liberal Country (Mass)
    54 times
    Not Coin Roll Hunting
    "I think Loomis, Guarda, Brinks, salting boxes with silver is on par with the Lockness Monster, big foot, 9/11 being done by the US government... It is interesting to talk about but is it real?"

I've got 100s of Ks behind me. I know this hobby better than anyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links