Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good across the board way to figure is to multiply spot price X 0.713. That gives you the bullion value of $1.00 face, which you would divide by 10 for dimes, divide by 4 for quarters etc. Not 100% accurate but very very close.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
If you have a hard time with the arithmetic, coinflation.com has a calculator.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
The reason I was asking is I keep hearing people talking about how many ounces of silver they found (not that there is any out there). I have always kept any in coin tube(s) so it is easy to look at. and figure how many coins.
I have figured value by what dealers or refiners will pay, although I like to calculate my junk silver by what I paid for it but that is not a true picture of value, it is what you can sell it for.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also like coinflation.com - in response to the earlier opinion about selling silver now , I disagree - I think building precious metal inventory makes good sense now . Silver is low relative to the historical highs of even the last 5 to 7 years . Unless selling means enough cash to buy desirable real estate , I don't know why you would sell now .

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have heard that not only are the world banks but the various governments holding the price of precious metals down. In the next two years I don't see silver going up more than 50% but still that is better than most other investments. I think if PM were to drop to zilch we would bigger problems

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do it a more round-about way, I suppose.

I add the total weight of all finds in grams, by denomination; multiply that by .9 for 90%ers, .4 for 40%ers, or .35 for war nickels to get the weight of silver in grams.

I then divide the silver weight by the number of grams per troy ounce (31.1034768) to get a very accurate total ounces-troy in silver.

Doing the math this way pretty well accounts for slicks, holed coins, or any other thing that throws off the weight of a coin.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I was asking is I keep hearing people talking about how many ounces of silver they found (not that there is any out there). I have always kept any in coin tube(s) so it is easy to look at. and figure how many coins.
I have figured value by what dealers or refiners will pay, although I like to calculate my junk silver by what I paid for it but that is not a true picture of value, it is what you can sell it for.

Even when silver nearly hit $50 awhile back, junk silver coins were mostly bought and sold by the coin, and not the actual weight. While it might be neat to know how many ounces you have, its probably unnecessary unless the price just absolutely skyrockets.

And you are correct, true value is the exact amount at which you can sell - regardless of what any price guide or market summary says.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My rough estimate: $1.40 in face 90% to equal one ozt (actually a little over at 1.012)

1 40% half equals a little more than 2 silver dimes, so 7 40%= a little over one ozt.

That's what I do when I'm calculating on the spot.

A dime makes it easy, because if I know the value of a dime, that's .1x face.

I use coinflation to just figure out melt value and figure out current multiples of face. I almost always have my phone, but I use those calculations above if I'm doing some rough numbers.

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have heard that not only are the world banks but the various governments holding the price of precious metals down. In the next two years I don't see silver going up more than 50% but still that is better than most other investments. I think if PM were to drop to zilch we would bigger problems
I wish that were true, but silver is rigged like the rest of the markets except that unlike the rest, it's rigged down, down, and down. Even back in 1980, the price of silver was manipulated up by the Hunts. Most other investments have wiped silver off the map.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be old and cell phone illertate (I only have 3-4 programs loaded on my cell) but I was a number cruncher the last couple decades of my working life. I wrote a spreadsheet in Excel. It lets me know my AU/AG value.

As I get I enter:
silver coin quantity per denomination
silver 925 jewelry by grams
gold quantity by karat and grams

Then I go to a gold refining forum I belong to. At the bottom of the page are up to the minute spot prices. I just update AU & AG and instantly I know to the penny my metal values.

I just increased my net worth yesterday by $1.19 + .95¢ I found a '64 rosie (+ .95¢) in the Coinstar reject box.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I keep my junk silver separated and in baggies so I can keep track but I always use weight x .90 for bulk. It's the easiest and fastest way to get an overall number.

I also have a running tally in a notebook so I count everything as well for my own inventory and keep track that way.

I only mostly deal with 90 percent and no nickels or 40%. I get rid of them for 90% or better to conserve space. Personally I'd rather have three mercury dimes than one 40% half and with the mercs being the new $1+ coin right now it makes more sense to me.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have a hard time with the arithmetic, coinflation.com has a calculator.

Agreed. You can also load the "Coinflation - Gold & Silver" free app on your smart phone. It's awesome...

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
TxAg
I checked out Coinflation on my desktop and that is a neat app. I was paying $5 for halves and I see right now it is $5.90 more than I thought!

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TxAg
I checked out Coinflation on my desktop and that is a neat app. I was paying $5 for halves and I see right now it is $5.90 more than I thought!
Yep, Ben. Load the app on your phone and you will have it next time you go to a coin show or LCS.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Did that and used it 3 times at the gun show as people were asking what their coins might be worth

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
\
Then I go to a gold refining forum I belong to. At the bottom of the page are up to the minute spot prices. I just update AU & AG and instantly I know to the penny my metal values.

Hey Dan, no need to go there for values(unless you were headed over there anyway). Go to the top of this page and hit quick links and there's up-to-the-minute metal prices.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions