Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: calculating silver in coins

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    640 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening

calculating silver in coins

So here is what I found from the Red Book as to the amount of silver in US coins (10,25 50) so if I have 10 90% half dollars I multiply by .36169 and get 3.61 ounces of silver, right?

Silver amounts
    Dime .07234
    Quarter .18084
    40% half .1479
    90% half .36169
    Johncoho likes this.
    Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

#59 "Free advice is seldom cheap"

#92 "Never confuse wisdom with luck"

2018 Totals: 147 40% 52 90%, Dimes 5, Quarters 45

2018 GOAL: 300 silver Currently 249/300

us
    Mr.

Jan 2017
    Liberal Country (Mass)
    The only two certainties in life are death and taxes. Hell, the government here even has a tax on death.
    54 times
    Not Coin Roll Hunting
    With silver going to zilch it would be a good idea to spend, I mean sell, them.

us
    Jun 2015
    Boone, NC
    Garrett Ace 250, Garrett ProPointer
    366 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    A good across the board way to figure is to multiply spot price X 0.713. That gives you the bullion value of $1.00 face, which you would divide by 10 for dimes, divide by 4 for quarters etc. Not 100% accurate but very very close.

us
    Jun 2016
    Europe
    Deephunter by Makro
    66 times
    Coinmelt.com is a great site

Feb 2006
    565 times
    If you have a hard time with the arithmetic, coinflation.com has a calculator.
    enamel7 likes this.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    640 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    The reason I was asking is I keep hearing people talking about how many ounces of silver they found (not that there is any out there). I have always kept any in coin tube(s) so it is easy to look at. and figure how many coins.
    I have figured value by what dealers or refiners will pay, although I like to calculate my junk silver by what I paid for it but that is not a true picture of value, it is what you can sell it for.
    Johncoho and bertmaster2000 like this.

us
    Feb 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Whites, MXT.
    3353 times
    I also like coinflation.com - in response to the earlier opinion about selling silver now , I disagree - I think building precious metal inventory makes good sense now . Silver is low relative to the historical highs of even the last 5 to 7 years . Unless selling means enough cash to buy desirable real estate , I don't know why you would sell now .

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    640 times
    I have heard that not only are the world banks but the various governments holding the price of precious metals down. In the next two years I don't see silver going up more than 50% but still that is better than most other investments. I think if PM were to drop to zilch we would bigger problems

us
    Poet—Traveler—Soldier of Fortune

Mar 2012
    Pennsy
    1258 times
    I do it a more round-about way, I suppose.

I add the total weight of all finds in grams, by denomination; multiply that by .9 for 90%ers, .4 for 40%ers, or .35 for war nickels to get the weight of silver in grams.

I then divide the silver weight by the number of grams per troy ounce (31.1034768) to get a very accurate total ounces-troy in silver.

Doing the math this way pretty well accounts for slicks, holed coins, or any other thing that throws off the weight of a coin.
    She had a west coast strut that was sweet as molasses.

us
    Dec 2009
    AR
    Minelab E-Trac
    977 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cartwright SASS View Post
    The reason I was asking is I keep hearing people talking about how many ounces of silver they found (not that there is any out there). I have always kept any in coin tube(s) so it is easy to look at. and figure how many coins.
    I have figured value by what dealers or refiners will pay, although I like to calculate my junk silver by what I paid for it but that is not a true picture of value, it is what you can sell it for.
    Even when silver nearly hit $50 awhile back, junk silver coins were mostly bought and sold by the coin, and not the actual weight. While it might be neat to know how many ounces you have, its probably unnecessary unless the price just absolutely skyrockets.

And you are correct, true value is the exact amount at which you can sell - regardless of what any price guide or market summary says.

Aug 2012
    809 times
    My rough estimate: $1.40 in face 90% to equal one ozt (actually a little over at 1.012)

1 40% half equals a little more than 2 silver dimes, so 7 40%= a little over one ozt.

That's what I do when I'm calculating on the spot.

A dime makes it easy, because if I know the value of a dime, that's .1x face.

I use coinflation to just figure out melt value and figure out current multiples of face. I almost always have my phone, but I use those calculations above if I'm doing some rough numbers.
    Last edited by GlenDronach; Mar 02, 2018 at 09:42 AM.
    "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." Oliver Wendell Holmes.

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    1966 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cartwright SASS View Post
    I have heard that not only are the world banks but the various governments holding the price of precious metals down. In the next two years I don't see silver going up more than 50% but still that is better than most other investments. I think if PM were to drop to zilch we would bigger problems
    I wish that were true, but silver is rigged like the rest of the markets except that unlike the rest, it's rigged down, down, and down. Even back in 1980, the price of silver was manipulated up by the Hunts. Most other investments have wiped silver off the map.
    lastleg likes this.
    When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...reluctantly...

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2006
    Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    1591 times
    I may be old and cell phone illertate (I only have 3-4 programs loaded on my cell) but I was a number cruncher the last couple decades of my working life. I wrote a spreadsheet in Excel. It lets me know my AU/AG value.

As I get I enter:
    silver coin quantity per denomination
    silver 925 jewelry by grams
    gold quantity by karat and grams

Then I go to a gold refining forum I belong to. At the bottom of the page are up to the minute spot prices. I just update AU & AG and instantly I know to the penny my metal values.

I just increased my net worth yesterday by $1.19 + .95˘ I found a '64 rosie (+ .95˘) in the Coinstar reject box.
    at yard sales I am dollardan

us
    Jan 2016
    North Saguache county between Gunnison and Monarch Pass
    F2
    1319 times
    Prospecting
    I keep my junk silver separated and in baggies so I can keep track but I always use weight x .90 for bulk. It's the easiest and fastest way to get an overall number.

I also have a running tally in a notebook so I count everything as well for my own inventory and keep track that way.

I only mostly deal with 90 percent and no nickels or 40%. I get rid of them for 90% or better to conserve space. Personally I'd rather have three mercury dimes than one 40% half and with the mercs being the new $1+ coin right now it makes more sense to me.

May 2017
    Garrett AT Pro
    150 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by galenrog View Post
    If you have a hard time with the arithmetic, coinflation.com has a calculator.
    Agreed. You can also load the "Coinflation - Gold & Silver" free app on your smart phone. It's awesome...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links