Presidential dollars

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Was wondering if anyone went through presidential dollars, for errors obviously. I used to, and quickly decided it wasn't worth my time.

However, in the past two weeks I've stumbled across multiple unopened mint rolls at banks for face value. These are the red, white, & blue rolls with the President's name on the roll. Last week I bought $500 worth hoping to flip them, and today ran across another 22 rolls at a different bank. I went against my normal rule of never cherrypicking at the bank, and just took unopened rolls of Washington and Lincoln today, as I was low on funds.

I'm trying to decide whether to try to unload the rolls (haven't had much luck in the past, and will be tying up hundreds of dollars), save just the rolls with known errors (still a few hundred dollars worth), or go ahead and open the rolls that may contain errors, look for them, and turn everything else back into the wild.

Any (constructive) thoughts would be appreciated.

FT

Upvote 0

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
There was this one dealer that I knew and traded with frequently. One time I asked him what he would pay for a bunch of Presidential dollar rolls I got from the mint. He said he´d pay 95 cents a coin, since it would take him five cents worth of time to deposit each of them at the bank.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Yeah, last time I got a bunch I tried selling them at my local coin club auction. I sold a few rolls for $2 over face, a few for $1 over face, and the rest for face just to get rid of them. I had one jack-wagon buy a roll of Washingtons for $27, rip them open to look for the no-edge-lettering error, then try to use the 25 dollar coins to buy another roll! I told him I accepted bills only. Somewhat discouraging and really not worth my time.

I'm leaning towards just looking for errors, then turning them all back in.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FT, I picked up $1600 worth of similar coins in US mint rolls at a bank in October and have sold about $600 worth for only a grand total of $30 profit. Sadly not worth the time or effort.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you'll have excellent luck searching for errors. No denomination is as fun to hunt as dollars. Would highly recommend; they're probably even better than halves.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other