Witnessed Silver Attempting to Enter the Supply Chain

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Was standing in line today waiting to cash a ticket from the coin counter when a woman walked in with ~5 quart sized baggies filled with half dollars. I didn't think anything off it as I assumed she was a hunter or maybe her husband was and she was helping out. Either way she and her son starting dumping the halves slowly into the machine and I her silver hitting the reject tray. I walk over (I have my son with me as well) and mention that some of the coins are worth more than $0.50. She's nice and open to help/discussion. Turns out her father passed away several months ago, collected coins and she's just trying to get rid of them (said she has like ~15 more bags of halves plus 'other coins'). My son and I pulled out 48 40%ers and 5 90%ers for the ~$500 worth of halves they had. I showed her the website of a local coin store that lists buy prices for coins, showed them what they're worth and gave her their contact info. I also offered to help sort / identify the remaining coins. She said she'd give me a call in a day or so and we can go through them.

Ultimately I will attempt to purchase the collection, but either way it didn't seem right watching someone pour them into the machine, even though I love finding them when they do. I'll update the thread if/when I hear back from then.

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your generous spirit is refreshing ! I want to be more like that !! True wealth abides in having a heart like that .

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are an honorable and honest man. Thank you for the example

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a good man. An honest hunter all the way around.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Your kindness will be returned ten-fold somewhere sometime in the future. You get an A+

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very, very nicely done! A rarely expressed and sorely needed alternate viewpoint to the profiteering side of CRHing.

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job!

I have in the past, offered $ to help an heir with a collection, "but, you aren't a liscensed coin dealer", so they sold for much less.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
good job!

I have never witnessed that but a teller who has sold me some halves has, twice, he ended up paying them 50 cents each, I bought them from him for silver value. Myself I would certainly hope that I would offer silver if they wanted to get rid of them quick or as you did, offer to help. I downloaded the coin app for pricing melt so I can so someone if I ever get that opportunity

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread