Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I never could find quarters, didn't really bad mouth them but there just don't seem to be any.

I always said that quarters were the hardest silver coins to find, after searching 3 bags of quarters and only coming up with 1-2 in each bag, I didn't change my mind. Until this week! I messed up on my order for half boxes so none were coming in so I went by a bank that will sell bags and got two bags of quarters. 1 I could see 2 silvers through the plastic, I left that one for second, the other I searched and yup 2 silver's only. The other one, someone must have dumped a hoard. The silvers were all in one area of the bag and there were 36 of them and 1 80% Canadian. In my ENTIRE life I had only found 5 silver quarters in 15 years of CRHing, this is a bonanza.

IMG_20180322_171040759_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180321_193047317_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180322_171240974.jpg

IMG_20180322_182618847.jpg

Upvote 0

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't find silver quarters unless you search quarters.
Nice going!

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I certainly never searched that many quarter rolls and only recently bags. but out of hundreds of rolls of quarters I had only found 5.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an awesome quarter haul. Congrats!

Thank you I am still shaking. I have never had a haul of quarters like that, as I mentioned other than 5 times for 5 quarters I have only had hundreds of skunks. The advantage of searching coin counter bags is if someone dumped a piggy bank or collection into it, you get it before it goes to the car services

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Big congrats BEN, on a quarter collection dump no less. Most likely silver dimes & halves were also dumped into that coin sorter, I would ask the bank to pull those bags for you when full.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I was very lucky, wouldn't normally look for quarters.

The half bag is 14% full, that is about $140 of which about $100 was mine when I filled the previous bag to buy it, but will watch it. When they pulled the quarter bag off I checked the levels in the other bags, they were pretty much empty. Looking at the numbers of the bags, the bag with the dump was 1 lower than the one they took off the machine, the low number dump bag was in the vault, they had already sold the dimes to another CRHer, if he knew what was in the quarters I bet he would be kicking himself. Oh well I missed out on the dimes, but am happy with what I got. I will monitor the halves and when it gets to about 2/3 full I will fill it and buy it, did that before and got 4 silver, not great but every silver is good.
Had they had dimes I would have taken them as I had never had good luck with quarters until now.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I just picked up a bag of dimes this afternoon, same Bank as other bags, but a different Branch in a different town. Maybe different luck.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
My bank called today and had 3 boxes of halves for me, they had said they would be in next week. So far the first 2 are SKUNKS.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is amazing Ben ! Never heard of anybody scoring huge on quarters - I agree with earlier posts , buy dime and half bags off that counter when possible .

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a picture of the bottom of the bag in my car on the way home, I saw this silver and another and went bank into that bank and bought the other bag right off the machine. Of course that other bag had only 2 silvers and a clad proof. but I had to try.

IMG_20180320_132130823.jpg

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver quarters are so hard to get CRHing , that I bought about three rolls of them at a metals exchange recently ! ( when silver dipped under 16 an oz)

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quarters are definitely right place right time. I've had good luck over the last few years finding well over 200. But I actually search them asking for Cwr. Styfflin said it best previously

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Argentium
I collect junk silver buying it at coin dealers. right now I am paying $8 for halves and $4 for quarters, how much are the coins at a metal exchange? I wonder if there are any around SE MASS and RI that will sell to the public?

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I really like that Canadian quarter, I have a few of them. Some are 80%, some are only 50% silver. Check it for a rotation error, I have 1 that is 15% off. Not sure if it adds to the value. I like all the 100th anniversary Canadian coins, they all have different animals on them. Just got a dime a few weeks ago.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Barney
Were the 100th Anniversaries 1967? or what year.

I weighed the 1967 and it is 2.05 or 80%

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ben , I've been buying from friends who run a store that sells jewelry ,they happen to buy and sell junk coin and bullion as well - they are pretty nice to me on prices - but I've been doing business with them for 15 years . You should call ARA, or APMEX ,(others) - I think you can do better than the prices you mentioned .Let us know what you find out !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread