First bag done, technique question(s)

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
First bag finished, 23 wheats, not half bad. '34 was the oldest, which I was quite happy with. Only 5 Canadian pennies also, I had 14 in the previous 66 rolls I had done. Also found a 2005 which looks like the copper is wearing off, thought it was kinda neat (pic attached).

Ultimately, I realize I do need to refine my technique. ATM I have a cardboard sheet which I have mappped out a grid onto, have the years labelled and varieties to look for on the years (DDOs 69, DDO 72, 92 close, etc). But it was woefully undersized for a bag's worth of coins. Also, over the previous 66 rolls I had hunted, I kept stats on an excel sheet, yearly break downs which I converted to %'s, copper, wheat, etc... This volume, I just calculated pre 82 (25.11%), stopped counting coins after 81. Just curious as to how others hunt in general? Check every coin as you go through, or sort by years, check for key dates, count, anything? Realizing I probably don't have to sort them call, just pull key dates/varieties to check upon completion. Thinking about a new board, use 1-cup containers sunk into for each year, then pop out the container to sort after completion, but even that seems a bit too tedious for what I'm doing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all!

2005 flaked.jpg

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When I search cents (bags or boxes), I pull to the side those '83 & later that are extremely good looking, rejects are going back to the bank at sometime. The '82 only, I pull for later sorting separately since there is copper & zinc var., lg & small dates, P & D, (all of which could have some rarity versions). The '81 & earlier, and since I hoard coppers, I pull those that appear extremely good looking with some luster, for later sorting then the remainders are put into holding jugs for eventual COPPER sell off. Eventually of all those that I had pulled off to SAVE, I will sort down by year & mint marks., after which to be finally sorted down to save the "Best-of-the-Best" coins for the 15-grandkids folders. Rejects of '83 and later go back to the bank, '81 and earlier go into the COPPER jugs. Yes it is time consuming, but a relaxing hobby. I normally do cents when I run out of Dimes searching for silvers.

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
I do admit to the guilty pleasure of having a container specifically for the '83s. When i run out of fresh coins I weigh them hoping for that $20k penny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions