Canadian pennies, to save or not to save that is the question

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep them just to make myself feel better about getting hits in a bag. I do love the older ones though, the King George one

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have really come to like the "first profile " Queen Elizabeth II cents (1953- 1964) I also pull all KGV,and KGVI cents too .

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I don't know if/when there will be a market for them, but I hoard them as well. The higher denomination coins I get I'll exchange for face next time I go to Canada, but I'd be reluctant to let the Canada Cents go without a premium.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There is distant rumors on the internet that the U S might go the same way with pennies. If that does happen, what's in store with copper prices? And hoarding.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I hoard them. When I lived in Metro-Detroit I had a very serious lady friend in Montreal - so I spent every weekend there for about 6 months. She was gorgeous, but she never could get over her sorrows. It finally wore me out and I cut bait.

All those trips, I saved all my Canadian money - took it into a my US bank, deposited it as related to the exchange rate at the time - not a problem whatsoever. I could probably to that with my bank in Virginia now.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The copper ones are worth more than a penny in melt...and I don't know of any US restriction melting them.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The copper ones are worth more than a penny in melt...and I don't know of any US restriction melting them.

You're correct, there isn't any laws in the United States about selling Canadian copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread