Possible hits? Need some expert input, please

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all, sorry to keep posting, hope I'm not annoying. Went through another bag (21 wheat, 13 canadian, 26.14% copper), and may have 2 hits. Need some more opinions though, not sure on either.

First is 2000. First 2 pics are the coin in question (AM, and the FG), 3rd pic is a regular one

2000 wide AM.jpg 2000 wide FG.jpg 2000 reg AM.jpg

To my untrained eye (sponsored by google), the FG doesn't look right for a wide, but they A and M do have a space consistent with the wide pic I saw...

2nd coin is a longer shot, 84 double ear. First pic is the coin which is a bit worn, 2nd is the best 84 regular I could find, and the 3rd is a paint side-by-side
84 double ear.jpg 84 regular.jpg 84 double ear comparison.jpg

So yeah...again, hope I'm not getting annoying with the posts, but would hate to toss a nice hit back in the bag. I fully realize I'm probably just getting carried away with the microscope, and if that's the case, I do apologize. Any input would be appreciated, thanks all! Best of luck hunting!

PS (pulled my first 2018, nice D. Ended up with 2 in the bag)

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2000 is normal. The spacing has to match the other letters. The 84 appears to be a combination of a hit and a stain.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The 2000 is normal. The spacing has to match the other letters. The 84 appears to be a combination of a hit and a stain.

Appreciate the input!

meraxes

Jun 25, 2017
Sacramento
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like the left leg of that ‘M’ may have been abraided down a bit, creating the small gap.

For the second coin... maybe? The problem with trying to identify doubling on the majority of worn coins is, with the possible exception of the most valuable varieties, even if you’re right, no one will pay anything for them.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem with trying to identify doubling on the majority of worn coins is, with the possible exception of the most valuable varieties, even if you’re right, no one will pay anything for them.

Thanks for the input! And not overly concerned about people paying for them, just think its neat to find a coin like that. Definitely didn't get into this for $, figured it was a pretty inexpensive hobby, and was fortunate enough to find an 1888 IHP my first hunt, so have been hooked since.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions