The Singe Greatest Coin Roll Hunting Discovery Ever Caught on Camera!

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Single Greatest Coin Roll Hunting Discovery Ever Caught on Camera!

This is without a doubt the single greatest coin roll hunting discovery ever caught on camera!

Screenshot (55).png

Here’s some context:

My brother Kevin and I are in the middle of another one of our coin roll hunting pennies competition hunts. I look over at Kevin’s roll and notice a wheat penny on the end nearest to me. We turn the camera on and record the wheat penny find.

Screenshot (56).png

Once that is over, I decide to leave the camera rolling as I tear into my next roll.

Upon opening the roll, I notice an interesting edge- it looks dark green and somewhat mangled. I decide to investigate. When I pull it out by its mangled edge, I expect to see a beat up parking lot coin or maybe an old circulated wheat. It was neither of those things.

Screenshot (58).png

What I saw next left me in utter shock and disbelief...

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure a coin dealer will give you 2 cents for it.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, congratulations on the coin, extremely jealous ;-). And yeah, neat that you pulled it live on camera and all, but be honest, your title is blatant click-bait. And yeah, I can see how on youtube that sort of thing could be warranted, and how it may draw people to view your videos, which could also pique their interest in this hobby. In which case, great for you, and them as well. I'm definitely new to all of this, and have admittedly watched a couple of your vids already, got me interested in the King George canadian penny (which I've been fortunate enough to pull). Perhaps though, on a board such as this, the title is a bit over-board. Although I'm sure I'm not the only newbie on this forum, I think this isn't nearly the general audience you'd find on youtube, and I think that's where the "issues" are stemming from in the comments on here. Seems this is probably a bit more of a "refined" crowd vs your casual youtube viewer that found your videos down a rabbit hole. Just my thoughts here though, and being new, hope I'm not overstepping or anything. Again, great pull man, best of luck with future hunts!

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, congratulations on the coin, extremely jealous ;-). And yeah, neat that you pulled it live on camera and all, but be honest, your title is blatant click-bait. And yeah, I can see how on youtube that sort of thing could be warranted, and how it may draw people to view your videos, which could also pique their interest in this hobby. In which case, great for you, and them as well. I'm definitely new to all of this, and have admittedly watched a couple of your vids already, got me interested in the King George canadian penny (which I've been fortunate enough to pull). Perhaps though, on a board such as this, the title is a bit over-board. Although I'm sure I'm not the only newbie on this forum, I think this isn't nearly the general audience you'd find on youtube, and I think that's where the "issues" are stemming from in the comments on here. Seems this is probably a bit more of a "refined" crowd vs your casual youtube viewer that found your videos down a rabbit hole. Just my thoughts here though, and being new, hope I'm not overstepping or anything. Again, great pull man, best of luck with future hunts!

You are right, I should have come up with a different title for the description of this post. I was very tired when I wrote it- was up all night editing the video. Thanks for the constructive criticism, I appreciate it!

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right, I should have come up with a different title for the description of this post. I was very tired when I wrote it- was up all night editing the video. Thanks for the constructive criticism, I appreciate it!

I'm glad you're seeing it from our perspective Quin (good points Rosco). Posts with that much hyperbole can make you ripe for good-natured ribbing. I can see the posts now:

"The Singe Greatest Coin Roll Hunting Off-Camera Discovery!"

"What's Your Singe Greatest Coin Roll Hunting Discovery?"

...and so on. Might I suggest simply posting your finds here minus the vids? You'd earn more respect and acceptance amongst CRHers here - both seasoned and novice - if it didn't feel like you were hyper-pitching our beloved hobby. If you're really about the coins, that should be a no-brainer.

And congrats on the IHC. Could we get a nice close-up of it? Some of the best discussions here center around IDing coins. I'd genuinely like to know. Have you weighed it, etc.

Btw, I see you're getting some mild grief on Reddit for posting this on their CRH page. :evil6:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you're seeing it from our perspective Quin (good points Rosco). Posts with that much hyperbole can make you ripe for good-natured ribbing. I can see the posts now:

"The Singe Greatest Coin Roll Hunting Off-Camera Discovery!"

"What's Your Singe Greatest Coin Roll Hunting Discovery?"

...and so on. Might I suggest simply posting your finds here minus the vids? You'd earn more respect and acceptance amongst CRHers here - both seasoned and novice - if it didn't feel like you were hyper-pitching our beloved hobby. If you're really about the coins, that should be a no-brainer.

And congrats on the IHC. Could we get a nice close-up of it? Some of the best discussions here center around IDing coins. I'd genuinely like to know. Have you weighed it, etc.

Btw, I see you're getting some mild grief on Reddit for posting this on their CRH page. :evil6:

It weighs 2.8 grams so definitely not a fatty. I will try to get some better pics of it soon.

I get where you're coming from Immy, but I think it's a bit of a jump to suggest that I change the way I document this hobby just because there are some people here who don't like how I do it. In my version of the hobby, I don't take high quality photos or thoroughly document each hunt with spreadsheets and numbers like I see a lot of people on here do. Not that there's anything wrong with doing it that way; it's just not how I prefer to do the hobby.

When I share a video on this forum, I am sharing the story and the excitement of the hunt more than anything else. I am not interested in the value of these coins- if I was then I wouldn't last long in the hobby. I am interested in the thrill of the hunt and that is what I like to share. If I'm not sharing that then I'm not interested in sharing at all.

To summarize, I don't get excited about pictures and lists of X coins found on date Y. I get excited about the story and the hunt itself. That's what I'm going to continue to share, whether the vocal minority approve or not.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Wow I can't belie.............nope....MEH........:tongue7:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
likely its a civil war era 1861 to 1865 indain head coin..going thru the civil war would help account for its rough shape

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Quin: just a hunch, but try the "paper & pencil" rub test. Get a small piece of white paper to totally cover the coin, then lay the tip of a #2 pencil horizontally and rub it across the paper that's on the coin enough to see if any date image comes thru. Kind of like the detective "Monk" style of solving a case. Just a shot!

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . . whether the vocal minority approve or not.
>>vocal minority
Assuming that the majority approves of cheesy, over-hyped, captain kirk-ish videos of routine coin roll hunting is a pretty arrogant position to take.

>>approve or not
In any event, why not assert what you are entitled to (regardless of the breadth of its reception)? Like everything these days, middle ground isn't an option.

Of course, you have no way of knowing how your video would have been received by this crowd if it had been titled accurately and sincerely. You don't know that because you intentionally chose the fallacious, ClickHole-inspired title. Splitting hairs about what it means to be great and how something being caught on camera is some sort of greatness differentiator doesn't change the clear and obvious.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quin: just a hunch, but try the "paper & pencil" rub test. Get a small piece of white paper to totally cover the coin, then lay the tip of a #2 pencil horizontally and rub it across the paper that's on the coin enough to see if any date image comes thru. Kind of like the detective "Monk" style of solving a case. Just a shot!
If you do it live on camera, it will be remarkable no matter what shows up on the paper.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
The SINGE greatest thing I did on camera can NEVER be shown on here....plus it BURNED a little bit....:blob8:

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I will have to try all these things that you guys are suggesting and get back to you with results hopefully this weekend.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
>>vocal minority
Assuming that the majority approves of cheesy, over-hyped, captain kirk-ish videos of routine coin roll hunting is a pretty arrogant position to take.

>>approve or not
In any event, why not assert what you are entitled to (regardless of the breadth of its reception)? Like everything these days, middle ground isn't an option.

Of course, you have no way of knowing how your video would have been received by this crowd if it had been titled accurately and sincerely. You don't know that because you intentionally chose the fallacious, ClickHole-inspired title. Splitting hairs about what it means to be great and how something being caught on camera is some sort of greatness differentiator doesn't change the clear and obvious.

It's not an assumption; it's fact This post has almost 1000 views and only 5 or 6 users have spoken up about it in a negative way. That's called a vocal minority. I'm not sure what you're getting at with your second point.

You're right, and I already admitted that I should have changed the title for this forum. I don't find my previous arguments to be tedious though. "Caught on camera" is an important distinction- it's what makes this event so exciting for me and many others. Your attempts to belittle this important detail are futile.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not an assumption; it's fact This post has almost 1000 views and only 5 or 6 users have spoken up about it in a negative way. That's called a vocal minority. . .

Laying the vocal minority card is such a lazy play. You really cannot believe what you are saying though. The unstated assumptions would be ludicrous (most significantly: everyone who fully approves chose not to comment -and- everyone who chose not to comment at least partially approves).

I'd rather believe that you are intentionally arguing a logical diversion rather than that you believe the above stated "fact" that you say is proven by the observation that this post has 1000 views and responses from 13 unique members (10 of which responded net negative and 3 responded mostly neutral). That is 75% disapproval and 25% uncommitted.

Want it to be fact, say it is fact, believe it is fact, and finding the proof is easy.

I could imagine that many, even the majority, that watched your video were entertained by it (especially those who are not experienced in the hobby). I could also imagine that many, probably most, that are experienced in the hobby would be largely indifferent to the video were it not for being so completely misrepresented.

Take what you want from the feedback you've gotten. I've more often than not chose to skip the video stuff that you post just out of personal preference. But, I considered you credible enough to take a look at the post which purported to detail your greatest moment. After seeing the first few replies and getting confirmation that it was all just click-bait hype, I decided to not see the video. Now that I know that no matter what the title says, there is nothing of interest, I won't be around to thread-crap your stuff anymore.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Laying the vocal minority card is such a lazy play. You really cannot believe what you are saying though. The unstated assumptions would be ludicrous (most significantly: everyone who fully approves chose not to comment -and- everyone who chose not to comment at least partially approves).

I'd rather believe that you are intentionally arguing a logical diversion rather than that you believe the above stated "fact" that you say is proven by the observation that this post has 1000 views and responses from 13 unique members (10 of which responded net negative and 3 responded mostly neutral). That is 75% disapproval and 25% uncommitted.

Approval is and always has been a spectrum. You seem to think it's black and white so let me make this explicit for you:

Those who provided negative feedback on this thread are a vocal minority.
Those who provided positive feedback on this thread are a vocal minority.
Those who provided no feedback on this thread are a silent MAJORITY.

The silent majority (which is present in most online communities) does not have strong enough opinions to engage. They fall in the middle of the spectrum of approval. It may be the case that the silent majority as a whole leans towards the negative- it doesn't matter! The point is that the majority do not hold the same level of approval (or disapproval) as the vocal minority.

For the record: I did have one user private message me and let me know that he enjoyed the video and was upset to see all of the backlash. Apparently he didn't feel comfortable expressing this view publicly which is too bad, but I can understand.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . .You seem to think it's black and white . . .
You made this up. I've stated exactly the opposite.

Those who provided positive feedback on this thread . . .
You made this up. There are none (unless you count the 1 that did it by PM, not that's not vocal. So, there are none).

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made this up. I've stated exactly the opposite.
It seems pretty black and white here.
>>vocal minority
Disapproving minority, approving majority.

Your second point is irrelevant.
If it makes you feel better, just change the tense from "provided" to "provide". The argument doesn't change.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems pretty black and white here.
How about these? Seem black and white?
... fully approves ... at least partially approves ... net negative ... mostly neutral ... many ... probably most ... largely indifferent ...
If it hadn't already, I'd say this could go on way too long.

Your second point is irrelevant.
I'd like to argue that the whole silent minority discussion is irrelevant but I took the bait and here we are. (Between that happening and the titling of your video, you do deserve credit as being a true master baiter).

The initial point of contention was that the video, with all of its other merits aside, was titled with deceptive inferences (OP conceded as much). Enough said.

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is going on anymore in this community? So, he slightly exaggerated to draw in a larger crowd. Everyone on the YouTube platform does it! Lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread