The Singe Greatest Coin Roll Hunting Discovery Ever Caught on Camera!

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Single Greatest Coin Roll Hunting Discovery Ever Caught on Camera!

This is without a doubt the single greatest coin roll hunting discovery ever caught on camera!

Screenshot (55).png

Here’s some context:

My brother Kevin and I are in the middle of another one of our coin roll hunting pennies competition hunts. I look over at Kevin’s roll and notice a wheat penny on the end nearest to me. We turn the camera on and record the wheat penny find.

Screenshot (56).png

Once that is over, I decide to leave the camera rolling as I tear into my next roll.

Upon opening the roll, I notice an interesting edge- it looks dark green and somewhat mangled. I decide to investigate. When I pull it out by its mangled edge, I expect to see a beat up parking lot coin or maybe an old circulated wheat. It was neither of those things.

Screenshot (58).png

What I saw next left me in utter shock and disbelief...

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Easy guys, here comes the MOD SQUAD. Lets keep this as a friendly COIN FORUM, of those treasurers we all have found, and willing to share the thrill of the HUNT for all to read about the (who, what, when, where, why) of news. We can't please every one all the time, and if you don't like some posts don't read them at all. Now, back to CRH'g.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is going on anymore in this community? So, he slightly exaggerated to draw in a larger crowd. Everyone on the YouTube platform does it! Lol.

Sure, that is expected on youtube. Personally, however, I would much rather see OP take the best of CRH to youtube than bring the worst of youtube to CRH.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, that is expected on youtube. Personally, however, I would much rather see OP take the best of CRH to youtube than bring the worst of youtube to CRH.

If you would, could you describe what exactly you mean by "take the best of CRH to youtube"? What would you like to see me do that I'm not already doing?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I don't think it's safe to assume that all 1000 people who viewed the post actually viewed the video. I suspect many, if not most, were like me, who viewed the post, skipped the video, then kept coming back to view the comments, knowing it was going to be entertaining.

:happy1:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I don't think it's safe to assume that all 1000 people who viewed the post actually viewed the video. I suspect many, if not most, were like me, who viewed the post, skipped the video, then kept coming back to view the comments, knowing it was going to be entertaining.

Yeah, I'm likely responsible for a hundred of the views. Quin lost all credibility last year when he went through his youtube click-bait style of posting. I wouldn't have bothered reading Quin's post, but when I see others like yourself and LooseChange chime in, then I feel a strong desire to read your responses.

rcs

Mar 15, 2017
Western Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Indeed

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I’m not assuming that. I’m not even assuming that these 1000 views (growing now) are unique. Even if we assume only 100 are unique, the argument doesn’t change. But as LooseChange pointed out, the whole “Vocal Minority” portion of this thread has been somewhat of a tangent.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you would, could you describe what exactly you mean by "take the best of CRH to youtube"? What would you like to see me do that I'm not already doing?

The best of CRH? I'm sure you've noticed that there can be passionate, sometimes well-reasoned (sometimes not), differences in opinions within the community on a lot of CRH topics. For that reason, I wouldn't claim to be qualified to spell out what best-of-CRH would mean. I know for certain that I wouldn't be qualified to judge your youtube work as I've only seen partials of a couple of your videos (Only because what I did see didn't interest me. They seemed well done and probably interesting to many, just not my thing.). There might be topics that there would a consensus on as being the best practices of CRH and maybe you have covered most (or some) of them. I wouldn't know. If that's the case, I approve - in abstentia. If that is completely not the case, I condemn - in astentia. I think you know enough about the hobby to recognize what questions get asked the most, what challenges hunters face, and what guidance or encouragements are most appreciated when shared.

My intended point was that if the antics of youtube are necessary for youtube (in-line ads, trading contest giveaways for subscription/likes, baiting titles on videos, over acting in response to routine outcomes, etc), then I would rather see the antics-part-of-it tempered when shared with forums such as this (and other forums you might use; ie: reddit). Obviously that is just a wish, not a demand. I usually advocate for doing the hobby the way that pleases you - even if that is different from how I enjoy the hobby. I generally try to give only gentle nudges when I fear that a particular behavior is harmful to the hobby. I'm not sure why this got me so feisty. Like I said though; once this one plays out, I intend to just stay away from this type of post.

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's exactly what I did, and the order i did it in.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best of CRH? I'm sure you've noticed that there can be passionate, sometimes well-reasoned (sometimes not), differences in opinions within the community on a lot of CRH topics. For that reason, I wouldn't claim to be qualified to spell out what best-of-CRH would mean. I know for certain that I wouldn't be qualified to judge your youtube work as I've only seen partials of a couple of your videos (Only because what I did see didn't interest me. They seemed well done and probably interesting to many, just not my thing.). There might be topics that there would a consensus on as being the best practices of CRH and maybe you have covered most (or some) of them. I wouldn't know. If that's the case, I approve - in abstentia. If that is completely not the case, I condemn - in astentia. I think you know enough about the hobby to recognize what questions get asked the most, what challenges hunters face, and what guidance or encouragements are most appreciated when shared.

My intended point was that if the antics of youtube are necessary for youtube (in-line ads, trading contest giveaways for subscription/likes, baiting titles on videos, over acting in response to routine outcomes, etc), then I would rather see the antics-part-of-it tempered when shared with forums such as this (and other forums you might use; ie: reddit). Obviously that is just a wish, not a demand. I usually advocate for doing the hobby the way that pleases you - even if that is different from how I enjoy the hobby. I generally try to give only gentle nudges when I fear that a particular behavior is harmful to the hobby. I'm not sure why this got me so feisty. Like I said though; once this one plays out, I intend to just stay away from this type of post.

I'd like to point you to a particular video of mine. Maybe you'll watch it. Maybe you won't. I believe that it does everything you'd hope a CRH video would do. It is a tutorial for beginners on how to properly coin roll hunt:

I want to make more videos like this, but they take a ton of time compared to a video that just follows one hunt. Anyway, I'm working on doing more that dive into specific areas of the hobby.

Loosechange, you are a smart guy and you make a lot of good points. It would honestly be a shame not to have you commenting on my posts anymore because I actually enjoy arguing with you over this stuff (and apparently a lot of others find it entertaining).

yankeesfan4life

May 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
You say that sarcastically but it actually is a once in a lifetime event. It’s literally never been done before.

Maybe not with an IHP, but another Youtuber, Half Dolla', found multiple merc enders live. That would be even better than finding an IHP.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe not with an IHP, but another Youtuber, Half Dolla', found multiple merc enders live. That would be even better than finding an IHP.

I would argue that enders don’t compare because they’re easy to identify and then turning on the camera is a no brainer.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not coin roll hunt, but many others do, and enjoy it, and of course always hope for something really good, no different then what I hope for in detecting. OK, I watched the video, and what I saw was two young guys who are really into and obviously seriously enthusiastic about THEIR hobby. Could you fella's not think that just perhaps that in coin roll hunting with pennies, that was one great find for THEM? Their excitement seemed honest to me. Cut them some slack fella's, I do not understand all the "Hostility" in some of the post, it was a simple video, a unexpected first for them, they were excited. They just so happened to have it on camera, exciting for them because they could now share that with other "coin rollers" as a real time event, and not something "planted", which is more then I can say for (some) metal detecting videos. The best of coin roll hunt? I'm sure not in the history of coin roll hunting, but just maybe it was for them. There is always someone who feels the need to "rain on" someone else's parade. Very cool find Quin, what were the odds.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
That IH looks really familiar. I've dug dozens over the last few years, I tumble the crappy ones and send them off to the wild. You say you live in Michigan too, huh...interesting.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
To bad we did not video this roll of Indians Tanner and I found.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

Attachments

• Indian heads 001.JPG
    Indian heads 001.JPG
    378.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Indian heads 003.JPG
    Indian heads 003.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 84
  • Indian heads 008.JPG
    Indian heads 008.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 73

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
One of our CRH highlights, the roll had 56 Indian Heads. It really helped fill our book. We got them about 2 years ago.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread