Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got a bag of dimes and a bag of quarters. Before I had mentioned to Dozer that the dimes seem lighter than the quarters and halves. Today I weighed them, the dimes are 28 pounds and the quarters 50 pounds.

Doesn't look like 10k dimes. I am going to keep them in separate cans so when I return them I get a good count.

The bag seems to be about 2/3 the volume of the quarters, but the machine said it was full...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Like FORD is found on road dead LOL

I just got back from the bank, discussed it with the manager and the teller, told them I didn't want to make a stink but the audit would be off. They are calling in the coin company today or tomorrow and having them do an audit. they took my account number and said they would give me a call and thank me for being so understanding. Doesn't mean they won't stop selling bags but I will take the risk as the rewards are so paltry.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a situation happen to me last year. I told a co-worker / coin collector that I was going to buy a bag of quarters from my bank. He asked if I would buy a bag for him. I got mine home and weighed it, 50 Lbs. I texted him to weigh his just to be sure it was full and he said it only weighed 42 Lbs. This coin machine had always been extremely accurate so I was really bummed about it. I told him it was short and offered to take it back to the bank but he had already opened it. :censored: He made kind of a big deal about “getting screwed”, so I told him tally it up and I would split the loss with him. Well, it took him about a week to go through the coins with me pestering him daily about the tally. When he finally finished, he sheepishly admitted the tally was $1000! Evidently, his mechanical bath scale was way off. Needless to say, I never bought him another bag!

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
bummer

I weighed my bag of quarters 48.5 pounds, may be short a bit but a "bit" is no big deal. the dimes were 27.5, said it should be 5500 dimes in that weight, I got $551 when I put them in a different banks coin counter.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just weighed my bags of $500 in dimes n they were 28 lbs. Either my scales off or they hooked me up. I just shipped off the first one so we'll see but at least it's not short. I got four silvers one was 1905 Canadian. Not amazing but I'll buy from them when I can. I waited two years for the halves to fill up n missed them. They said they called me but i must have missed it. She also told me she stopped a buffalo collection dump and returned the coins to the person who brought them in when she opened the first roll n saw old coins. Only decent nickel was 1948 au looking. Not one buff made it past the teller. So much for a chance at a collection dump at this branch lol. I'll keep trying tho

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
My bag was 27.8 pounds for $551 of dimes, the downside? it was a $1000 bag that I paid $1000 for.

The bank is doing an audit on the machine to get the numbers.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I just weighed my bags of $500 in dimes n they were 28 lbs. Either my scales off or they hooked me up. I just shipped off the first one so we'll see but at least it's not short. I got four silvers one was 1905 Canadian. Not amazing but I'll buy from them when I can. I waited two years for the halves to fill up n missed them. They said they called me but i must have missed it. She also told me she stopped a buffalo collection dump and returned the coins to the person who brought them in when she opened the first roll n saw old coins. Only decent nickel was 1948 au looking. Not one buff made it past the teller. So much for a chance at a collection dump at this branch lol. I'll keep trying tho

Tommybuckets
What I do with the halves is watch how full the bag is, when it gets to about 70% I will fill it with my own halves so I can be right then when it fills up, also saves a second trip!

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
The bank just deposited $449 to my account for the amount the bag was short. They had auditors come in and determined that they gave me the wrong bag. Now I will have to find if they will still sell bags, may go over on Friday.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you got restitution Ben!

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I told them my main goal was not to get anyone in trouble since it was a mistake not on purpose or a problem with the machine. A normal short probably wouldn't be noticed by the machine I would think it gave $1000 worth.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
The bank just deposited $449 to my account for the amount the bag was short. They had auditors come in and determined that they gave me the wrong bag. Now I will have to find if they will still sell bags, may go over on Friday.

I'd say this definitely calls for a sweet treat for the bank; might even want to consider a thank you note. Showing your appreciation can go a long way in situations like this.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to see the positive outcome for you Ben and to the banks consideration of the problem.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I dropped off a batch of hermits, they were really happy.

Talked with the manager and the teller didn't make a mistake either, it was the counter or the counter company that was wrong, when they serviced the machine somehow they set it to read that the partial bag was full so she thought it was a full bag and being her first time changing a bag she didn't know what it should have weighed so didn't catch it. Turns out no one is in trouble.

Will get another bag next week when the dimes fill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread