I have no words...

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has taken me sometime to think and just get it out of my system. Friday morning I realized I was robbed. Someone stole over 1K in rolled coin from my car and 6 solid rolls of 90%. I did file a police report.... Nothing yet. It was a stupid mistake and I will learn from it. I think this occurred on Thursday at my local Wal Mart and I thought I locked my car. Clearly I didn't. I meant to dump the rolled coins earlier on Thursday but "life" happened and I decided it to postpone it till Friday. Right now I hope they needed more than me.. By no means I'm saying I don't need the 1K, but for that person to do that... Just hope they had a great reason to. I will give it a few more days and call for an update on my report.. Just wanted to get this out of my system.... PS. I am more upset over the loss of those rolls than the 1K rolled coins..

Upvote 0

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope things work out for you.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about this. Absolutely garbage that people do this. Usually always to sell items they steal and convert to cash and buy drugs.

I work in insurance and you may have a little bit of coverage on your car insurance that may help get some money back. Also under a home or renters insurance policy... But always check with your rep before filing a claim. Best of luck and hope they find the thieves.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
For others that are still following this thread, let the OP's misfortune serve as a reminder to the rest to be cautious and aware of your surroundings. While the OP had some valuables stolen, it could have been worse. We see it on the news every night across America - people lose their lives every day for lesser amounts of money. We all think it won't happen to us, but the those that want to do harm are counting on this complacency.

It might sound crazy, but it is good to be paranoid. When picking up coin, never go directly home. Never take the same route home. Us hunters are predictable with our schedule as it directly tied into the carrier's schedule. People can observe our actions and seeing thousands of dollars in coin being loaded into our vehicles, it would be safe to assume that there is more where that is going. Stay Alert - Stay Alive.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This applies to anything of value in your car. Even locked, thieves will find a way to get in if they want/need something badly enough. Which reminds me, i need to cover up those metal detectors in the back of my hatchback.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t been on here for a few days and I’m just now reading this. When I read the title, I was like, man can’t wait to see what they found.....didn’t expect to read a post like this. Sorry to hear the news. Hopefully they can catch them, and hopefully they’ll still have those rolls of 90%. We hear of miracles everyday on here with people finding coins, let’s hope they can find your coins too. Good luck, and may a few dream boxes come your way.

OP
OP
Oquario79

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for everyone's kind words and stories. I have emailed and called the officer in charge and no updates. I did call a few a few LCS and pawn shops just to let them aware. Will call my home insurance tomorrow and talk to the underwriter and see if I have a claim.

CoinRoller

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2016
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hesitate to admit the following for fear it'll somehow come back to bite me. But having been in your shoes, I can well imagine the self-recrimination you're feeling. Last year my wife had a medical procedure scheduled. Normally, she drives us everywhere. But she was in no position to drive after the procedure and so I took the wheel. No biggie, right? After all, I've hundreds of thousands of uneventful miles behind the wheel (cop for 25 years, etc.). On the way home we see an estate sale which we stop at. We're there for about twenty minutes. Upon leaving I sit on the driver's seat and notice that part of the interior locking mechanism is occupying the seat and realize that things are not right. That's when we notice the food we'd purchased is gone, as is a box of nickels I'd picked up and some other valuables. Worst of all, my gun is missing as well. If anyone had told me I would ever lose my gun I'd say they were full of it as I have been hyper-vigilant for it and had the habit of draping my fanny pack over my knee while in the passenger side of her car. This singular deviation from form found me momentarily forgetting that it was in the vehicle. Right after I discovered the break in I reverted back to cop mode and got the local pd rolling and had even identified a resident across the street who had a camera fixed on the location. In reviewing the footage, we saw two males coordinate their approach separately - one on foot, the other in a car - to our ride within 30 seconds of our exiting it. They used some kind of sophisticated mechanism to punch out the digital door lock without activating the alarm. And with that, they were in and out in less than a minute. It still sickens me, particularly when I consider the pious judgments of others. The thing is, I guess I want you to remember it can always be worse (not that comparative misery should always be an out, but sometimes it works). At least, you won't have to worry about someone else being victimized because of your lapse of vigilance. I hope they catch the perps - both yours, and mine. In the meantime, you have my undesired empathy :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread