Isn't this considered counterfeiting?

cosmetal

Aug 22, 2017
Sacramento CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the attached today when searching through my local Craigslist.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/clt/d/1909-vdb-lincoln-wheat-cent/6575588774.html

I'm no legal expert, but, this definitely would seem to be counterfeiting of a very sought after rare copper coin. Even if you state that it is a replica, it is supposedly illegal to produce unauthorized replicas of US currency - yes? ???

Opinions, please.

James

Attachments

• 1909 S VDB Lincoln Wheat Cent Penny Souvenir Coin - collectibles - by owner - sale.pdf
    150.1 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Hobby Protection Act, passed by Congress in 1973, covers imitation political items (e.g., buttons, posters, stickers, etc.), as well as imitation numismatic items (e.g., various coins, tokens, paper money, commemorative medals) that are required to be marked with certain identifying information in an effort to flag them as imitations. The FTC’s Rule establishes the size of the required disclosures, their location, and the manner in which items may be marked.Stating the coin is not real in the ads is insufficient to comply with the law.

Text of Rule
Don........

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking that is a pic of a real S VDB penny and they will likely ship you one that says "COPY" on it. Or I suppose there is a slim chance the seller doesn't know what they have but that pic looks real enough to me..

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Delivery Time 20-45 days... from China. China doesn't care about the laws here

OP
OP
cosmetal

cosmetal

Aug 22, 2017
Sacramento CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the Treasury Dept. website and searched for counterfeits and what to do, etc.

The website said to contact the Secret Service about any counterfeiting. They (the Treasury) even has a hot link to the Secret Service. Clicked on it and an SS menu pops up and asked my zip code for the nearest field office.

It gave me a phone number for the field office in San Francisco. Called . . . many rings later, a guy answers:

"Secret Service" along with a long pause - nothing else. ???

I asked if this where I was supposed to report suspected counterfeit coins and he answered:

"Yes" along with a long pause - nothing else. :icon_scratch:

I told him about the coin being offered through the SF Craigslist and how it appeared to be an attempted counterfeit of a very sought after early copper cent from the SF Mint. I told him that the advertisement copy said it was a replica and not US currency but there was no marking on the actual physical item identifying it as a replica. He answered:

"Nothing I can do. He's advertising it as a replica and not trying to sell it as an original" along with a long pause - nothing else. ???

But, sir! What if the person that buys it doesn't care about the law and sells it as an original to some noobie coin scronger!!! :icon_scratch: He answered:

"Then it becomes an issue" along with a long pause - nothing else. :icon_scratch:

I said thank you for your time and have a great day! :BangHead:

I didn't make this up.

James ???

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Should have asked him if it would be illegal to offer 'replica' hundred dollar bills the same way on Craigslist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread