V-nickels?

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I haven't actively CRH'ed since early 2014, I looked back at the stats I kept from 2006 to 2013 when I was actively CRH'ing.

Total # of nickels searched: 1,636,695 ($81,834.75 worth)
V nickels found: 12
Buffalos found: 153
War Nickels found: 670

So my find rate was 1 V-nickel for every $6820 searched.

That being said, I think 4 came from the same bag, and in 2009 I searched through over $16,200 and didn't find a single one.

Just recently started, 52,000 sorted thus far: 3 buffaloes and 15 war nickels....so I'm about a third of the way to my realistically hoping for my first!! :-p

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got two on my own. One in a MWR a year plus ago and one in a CWR about a month ago. Quite a surprise. My biggest V score came from an amazing teller who saved me four rolls of V nickels. They were a bit short but I definitely wasn't complaining. The only thing i wonder is if her co worker who is a sniper sniped through the rolls and picked out less common dates since I ended up with only common dates and they were short though my friend had stated she had counted them and they had been right. I never brought it up since I was just happy to get what I got. I have done approximately 200,000-250,000 nickels so I don't think they are too common lol.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Just lucked out and pulled a worn one! I'm just shy of 80,000 searched. Best of luck!

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
i've done about a $120 in nickels a week for a year and half and I am up to 2, a 1904 philly & 1906 ?. The 1904 came in a set of rolls out of a fountain, lots of mineral deposit & 1906 is almost slick.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah. El Cortez still has plenty of coin-op (including nickels, DD, seed away!). El Cortez is promoted as Vegas Old School, so coin-op machines fit the motif.

There's also a rumor not that long ago of another on the southeast side of town called The Klondike, but I've yet to investigate.

Wish they still had them in AC. There was something about the sound of real coins coming out of the slots.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found two and probably searched around 25 boxes give or take, so 50,000 nickels. This was about 9 years ago. One was from a roll...1905. The other was from a bag of machine reject stuff that a bank sold me for $10. It was a 1912 with a mint mark but I can't make it out and my wife actually found it as we went through the bag. The bag was a great buy as there was a silver dime and at least $50 in US coins and probably $20 in Canadian coins along with a bunch of tokens and other foreign coins. I haven't actively hunted in quite some time, but may get a box of nickels soon. My son found one of the new buffalo nickels and got super excited, so I may get him a couple of boxes to search so that he can find a real buffalo. I'm still hoping for a 1913 V as well...

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread