Now that I have a box of halves to get rid of I have a question.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to go through 2-3 boxes of halves a week. That was back when I had two dump banks and each one had many branches. Now I think there is only 4 banks in my entire county. I bought a box at my main bank, Chase. I also have another account at a local credit union. I will return some there, don't know yet if I will wear out my welcome bringing a box or two every month.

So my question is.
Has anyone gone in and paid their bills with rolls of coin?

My home is financed at a bank 25 miles north of me in Oregon. I do not have an account there other than the loan. I am thinking bringing in 30-35 rolls plus a check for the rest of the payment. Then there is the cable company and water/sewer payments that I can actually drive to make a pmt.

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Dan - Pay the mortgage with your coin. I have 10 years left on my 30 year mortgage. I have made every single payment in coin. I have no other account with my mortgage holder.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have made every single payment in coin. I have no other account with my mortgage holder.
I bet they hate to see you come in the front door. They would ban my brother-in-law, he has a multi million $$ home. He would have to hire a team of guards to deliver that much coin. Probably 20 boxes a month.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dan, that would be an awesome way to “stick it to the man”, lol!

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I'm at, there is a regional grocery store that takes halves at the self checkout.

I pay for a couple hundred dollars worth of groceries at a time with halves. It is a small hopper for feeding the coins. Slow to go, but it counts accurately.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i paid most of my mortgage payment at an Umpqua bank. It is about 25 miles north of me in Oregon. We usually go there every 3 or 4 weeks anyway. The teller was all smiles when I brought in two zippered bank pouches of rolled coin. She excused herself saying she had to run them through the counter. Yes, she said counter. I thought the closest one was 100 miles away. This one is hidden in a back room. It counted $500 in about 10 minutes because I brought in rolls. (I decided to bring all 50 rolls) When she came back I reminded her that I only had a home loan with them and asked if I could just bring in more loose coins and cash out and she said no problem.

DUMP BANK :)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I paid my (former) barber $10 in halves for a haircut. He flashed pretty angry but didn't say anything.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid my (former) barber $10 in halves for a haircut. He flashed pretty angry but didn't say anything.

Do they still use a straight edge and strop? Not sure I'd ask about payment with halves with a straight edge at my throat...

Too cheap to go to a professional, my wife cuts my hair and does a fine job and reminds me to behave myself if i value my ears.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread