I am disgusted

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
I have had a recent streak of skunk boxes in halves.
Which is fine because it’s the name of the game.
But today I went and picked up a box from a bank I order at regularly. I just got home and cracked it open. And... ALL the rolls have been opened and taped. I know it wasn’t the tellers. Because the box was sealed.
If you guys are gonna do boxes of halves and don’t have a bank that has a coin counting machine, and you have to re-roll the rolls to return them back to the bank. Don’t freakin roll them back in the original rolls they came in. Roll them in the FREE brown wrappers that the bank will give you if you just ask them.
Otherwise you will get your same dumps in the orders you do. Instead of the coins being dumped out and possible silvers being added when all the coins are dumped together. The companies that re roll the coins will see the white wrappers and re seal the box and just send them back out to the banks that order them for customers!
This is not the first box I’ve gotten like this and it is SO FRUSTRATING! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1530053431.519265.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1530053521.857708.jpg

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The type of roll wrap does not trigger the coins being dumped into a hopper or not. The laziness of the courier and bank employees determines the outcome. From my experience, Brinks tends to have the highest ratio of re-boxed dumps. If the coins are wrapped in the brown bank supplied wraps, they still are sometimes repacked into a box. It sucks, but pleading with hunters to change their behavior when it is the couriers that are responsible seems misguided.

OP
OP
hughmaster10

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
The type of roll wrap does not trigger the coins being dumped into a hopper or not. The laziness of the courier and bank employees determines the outcome. From my experience, Brinks tends to have the highest ratio of re-boxed dumps. If the coins are wrapped in the brown bank supplied wraps, they still are sometimes repacked into a box. It sucks, but pleading with hunters to change their behavior when it is the couriers that are responsible seems misguided.

I’ve never heard of or seen brown rolls in a sealed box. I’ve only seen the brinks rolls where you can tell they have been re rolled and sent back to the bank.
I just think it’s not much more effort to re roll them in the brown rolls. That way brinks or loomis or whoever rolls the coins is almost forced to re wrap them and not just seal the box.

OP
OP
hughmaster10

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013

Not only does it increase your odds of getting a dump box, but they taped every single roll. What a waste of tape and unnecessary trouble, considering the banks will give you wrappers for free. Lol smh

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I guess I wasn't clear in my previous response. The type of wrapper does not determine the probability of getting a repacked dump. When I hunted Brinks, I would get brown bank wrap rolls repacked. I would get the MWR slit down the side and taped up. I would get the MWR with the crimp undone and repacked with the opened end down. This is the most frustrating as the box looks fine when you first open it, but only to find that each roll has already been opened when you turn each roll over.

With Brinks having the closed double-stack boxes, it is easier for them to repack the trash and tape the box up. With Loomis holed flat-boxes, the laziness of the employees is more readily caught by inspecting the sealed boxes randomly from the outside.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Last week, for the first time ever, I got a box with two handrolled in it. I was shocked, to say the least!

Bad Karma

Dec 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hughmaster10, what part of the country are you in?

Thank you.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gotten the occasional white paper rewrapped boxes. I just keep trying different pickup banks until I find a decent one thats not downstream from anyone dumping and no lazy couriers (still searching lol). I find the rewrapped brown paper dumps most annoying because they tend to get broken down and dispersed to more and more banks. Its easy to avoid a suspicious $500 half dollar dump in brown rolls but once a few people have bought a few and its " We have $340 in halves" I end up buying them, moving them down the street where the next guy buys them and moves them back up the street etc. and eventually I buy them and dump them in a coin counter to get them off the street out of brown rolls. Granted there could be a case to make for flooding the area with brown paper rolls. Good rolls can easily blend in with the dump and sniper tellers would hopefully get tired of going through them and ease off their sniping. I wouldn't think that'd be super likely. Now BOA is doing the bags you ship off. I don't love the extra time and paper trail but it sure does get rid of some coins.
I do notice someone in my area dumping at branches that don't get dumped on much and doing the brown rolls. They seem to even be dumping at their pickup banks. I told the tellers to have them give me a call or at least let them know its bad form to dump where you pick up. I know two branches where they told me he's done this and its messing things up for the rest of us. They told me he bought $500, and returned $500 in brown wrappers. They are not my prime banks but I get the occasional 40% there and like to be in the know. Aint no winning out here but if we could break even that'd be great.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting read.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Well at least you don't need to bother opening them. All part of the game. Still it sucks.

Maine Jim

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I would still open them, some of the old-timers, including the tellers, still throw the 40%’ers back.

He's right. I remember having many "discussions" (near arguments) with some old-timers explaining to them that they were missing out on not keeping the 40%'ers. Despite all the evidence to the contrary, they insisted that their was no silver worthwhile to bother keeping them. Now, I remember that I used to toss the 40%'ers back as you couldn't afford to tie up your bankroll holding coins that you couldn't sell. But that was with the full knowledge that they did contain silver, just couldn't afford to keep them. These old-timers are still working on the same premise that there is still no market for the 40%'ers so they don't bother to cull them.

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
I always pull them all out & check em. I have one local hunter who makes 2 cuts that are 1/2 inch apart, he rim checks them and then tapes it back up. I have found 1 90% and 2 40% in their dumps, they miss the enders & heavily oxidized ones.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it worth $5 profit per box, if yer lucky?

No it’s not. Therefore, I assume all roll hunters are hobbyists. Cool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread