trade war PM strategies

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Has anyone given much thought to how Trump's impending trade wars will affect precious metals? I figure in a prolonged trade war, gold may very well go up. However, upon reflection, I think locally silver may go up as well, particularly if many of the items that are having tariffs levied against them use silver heavily in the manufacturing process.

While steel and aluminum are obviously not precious metals, in the construction industry we are already feeling the effects of tariffs; prices for many steel items have risen, as have manufacturing/delivery times. Now I'm wondering about the price of copper and nickel, as well as silver, gold, and platinum.

Any comments? Here is the list of items included in the latest tariffs. https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/enforcement/301Investigations/List 1.pdf

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am interested to hear some ideas about this the precious metals markets are very fickle - they lately have been quite mysterious in my view .

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About time we made our own steel again! Win win for me because I scrap also!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If precious metals subject interest you, then every now and then, Bloomberg on TV stock & market stats sometimes get into some interesting details of silver gold copper etc.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am interested to hear some ideas about this the precious metals markets are very fickle - they lately have been quite mysterious in my view .

They're being manipulated by big bullion investors like JPMorgan. I wouldn't really do anything but buy wisely when price and premiums are low and keep an eye on the gold/silver ratio.

There's not a lot of historical evidence for gold's reaction to trade wars because the gold price was tied to currency values for so long.

I just have a feeling that if gold prices go up, it's because something very bad is happening in the economy, and I'd rather avoid that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread