what is the oldest dime you have found in circulation?

lucas1889

Jun 28, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1863.jpg IMG_1864.jpg
what is the oldest dime you have found in circulation, coin roll hunting, or in your pocket change?

The reason why I am asking is because 5 or so years ago, My brother was going through his piggy bank, and found a slightly worn and tarnished(black) 1857 seated liberty dime!!! It stood out like a sore thumb.

Im curious to know if any of you just happened across such an old coin in circulation, or if my brother is just one lucky dude.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dibdab

Jan 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1850 from a machine wrapped roll. My oldest coin found in any denomination.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Several years ago, found a 1876-CC seated dime in a MRW box of dimes from one of my local branches. They do pop up every now and then, most recently (April 2018) I found a 1903 Barber dime in a MRW box also.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The oldest dimes I found were an 1891 Seated dime and a couple of Barber dimes (1910 and 1913) after searching a lot of dimes.

In other words, your brother was lucky.

The oldest coins I have found were 2 ancient Roman coins the size of dimes that somehow got cashed in.

OP
OP
L

lucas1889

Jun 28, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The oldest dimes I found were an 1891 Seated dime and a couple of Barber dimes (1910 and 1913) after searching a lot of dimes.

In other words, your brother was lucky.

The oldest coins I have found were 2 ancient Roman coins the size of dimes that somehow got cashed in.
Dude! you must have been flabbergasted when you came across those roman coins. Makes you wonder who put cashed them in

NSR60

Mar 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd call that lucky, for sure. My oldest dime was a 1909 Barber that I got from a convenience store. I remember it was so corroded that they thought it was a penny.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i remember someone on there found a cut down gold coin in a roll,i think it was a nickel roll.you guys have found some cool stuff.
brad

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happened several years ago. Teller at my bank showed some mercs he had rescued from being dumped why a woman from the local T's was dumping coin from different branches. I asked was there more and he said in the bag. I asked if I could buy it and he said when it's full. He called the next day at noon and said it was ready. The 16D was in the first handful of coins. Look back at my earlier posts for the pics.

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriend saw a 1907 Barber in her register at work, but her manager wouldn't let her keep it because the manager wanted it (what a jerk!). However, she did pull a 1924-D merc which was heavily circulated and damaged out of a Coinstar.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Happened several years ago. Teller at my bank showed some mercs he had rescued from being dumped why a woman from the local T's was dumping coin from different branches. I asked was there more and he said in the bag. I asked if I could buy it and he said when it's full. He called the next day at noon and said it was ready. The 16D was in the first handful of coins. Look back at my earlier posts for the pics.

Didn’t you send it to ANACS and it came back slabbed AG? I remember you hit the jackpot on that for sure!

OP- Oldest Dime I have found if I recall, was a worn 1917 Merc.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
My girlfriend saw a 1907 Barber in her register at work, but her manager wouldn't let her keep it because the manager wanted it (what a jerk!). However, she did pull a 1924-D merc which was heavily circulated and damaged out of a Coinstar.

Yeah what a jerk. If she found it she should have been allowed to keep it. I would have thrown a Dime in to balance my til and sniped it as an F you to the manager. Barber Dime? IDK what happened to it! But I’m a dick like that when it comes to coins.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
a 1952 d rosie from my grandmothers change jar

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn’t you send it to ANACS and it came back slabbed AG? I remember you hit the jackpot on that for sure!

OP- Oldest Dime I have found if I recall, was a worn 1917 Merc.

That's correct.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions