I always FORGET TO ASK

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Every time that I go to pick up dime boxes at banks, it seems that I always forget to ask if they have any big Ike's or half dollars. Well this time things went a little different. As I was getting a dime box from one of the tellers at the vault, the head teller hears me and asks me, "Oh hi Mr D, I have some rolls of half dollars, do you want them", I naturally said sure, "how many", she says "only $170". I bought them all, but they were all CWR, and thought of them as a searchers dump. When getting home with my other 5-boxes of dimes from other bank branches, I immediately started on the CWR halves. Most of the rolls were taped on both ends, thinking they came from the same person. The first taped roll I opened pops a 1964 90%, so I start thinking just the reverse, maybe someone's piggy bank of half-dollars, not necessarily a collection. Things started to improve, roll after roll, I started to see several 40%, on and on. After all said and done, totals turned out very interesting for only 17-rolls searched. A total of 3-90%, and 13-40%, as 16 silver halves for a little over 3-ounces of silver, just because I FORGOT TO ASK. Now I've got to go back and make some type of arrangement with the head teller for future halves.
I've got to remember to ask at every bank I stop at, why not, cuz I ask at every gas station that I stop at "JUST IN CASE". And to think that I would have to find about 45-silver dimes to equate to the 16-halves, ain't going to happen.
For all you NEWBI's in the hobby, just remember to ASK, I will from now on, I HOPE. HH and keep stacking, DozerD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
To reinforce Dozer's point, everyone should heed the advice of - Always Buy Them All. It does not matter if you think it is a dump. It does not matter if you think you will buy just a few to sample. You are CRH'ers. Then do it. Hunt.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are errors and varieties, also Peace an Morganā€™s can hide in a stack.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
To go off this post. Why do people ask for Ikeā€™s.

Because you never know what you're going to get. Some Ike's are silver, sometimes tellers store American Silver Eagles, Morgan, and Peace dollars with Ikes (or rolled with Ikes). And even if they are all Eisenhower dollars, they spend easily so you can't lose money on them. Sometimes you can unload them on FB or Craigslist for a profit.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

As other's have stated, there can be some stowaway Morgans, Peace, ASE among the Ikes. Plenty of errors/varieties that are worth a hefty premium. I hope Twitch sees this thread/comment. He recently has been rewarded for his diligence. I just found a '71 S silver proof peg leg. Many Brown Ikes can be had for $12-$15/each. The '71 silver proof peg leg is a $60-$80 coin.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
As other's have stated, there can be some stowaway Morgans, Peace, ASE among the Ikes.

I can attest to this. The only time I ever scored large Dollar rolls, (circa 2010) I pulled a Morgan and Peace from the rolls. Always always ask. Also, as DD stated, I have noticed a numbers of ASE at Face Value finds lately. And btw, nice score Dozer!

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, when you get a score like dozen did from halves, don't forget to go back to the branch and ask that teller for all the remaining cwr in all denominations. Chances are there are wheats, Rosie's, war nicks and possibly a couple of silver washingtons too. Don't forget to go back and ask :occasion14:

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been lazily looking for a bank to order me a bag of ikes from the local brinks, head teller has something against me or something, idk why.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time that I go to pick up dime boxes at banks, it seems that I always forget to ask if they have any big Ike's or half dollars. . .

A Coin Roll Hunter forgetting to ask if the tellers have any half dollars is like a firefighter forgetting to spray some water.

j/k. When you're thinking about dimes, I could see how it could slip your mind.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I've been lazily looking for a bank to order me a bag of ikes from the local brinks, head teller has something against me or something, idk why.

It won't be on their order form. Ikes even though they are legal tender are considered obsolete coinage. If you ask the bank to order dollars, you will get small dollars (SBA, Presidential, Native American). The head teller will need to physically call in to the courier and request them.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys for all your positive comments, and I hope to get back to that head teller REAL SOON, before other denom coins escape from her draw.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

It would sound a little unethical or greedy to ask if they have any Morgan or Peace dollars. This way, as others have mentioned, hidden among the IKEs could be Morgan's or Peace $. Avoid mentioning the words SILVER COINS, so as not to arouse undo interest, our silver takes are limited as it is already.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread