Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides the brute force approach of asking every bank for coins, over time I try to feel out the banks staff to discover if they have other collectors or staff that collects. I also try to figure out who makes up their clientele. Is it a bank where businesses go to get or drop oiff change or is it more where grandma cashes in her piggy bank from time to time? Staff is constantly changing and these assumptions can often be incorrect. For instance a sniping teller could be on vacation allowing access to silver that they would have otherwise sniped.
I discovered a young sniper teller a year ago who is open with me about things and I had assumed he would not be sharing any of his silver with me. I lumped him in my dump bank category and freely dump there. The other day I went by with a small dump and he caught me off guard. I asked him how things were and he told me I had just missed a load of 40% halves. I asked him why he would let them go by and he said his lock box was almost full and he couldn't hoard any more 40%. I know a few other tellers who also let the 40% go by. I promised him I wouldn't dump on him anymore and left him my phone number.

Upvote 0

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
The more cynical among us would believe he was just messing with you in an attempt to get you to stop dumping there, but it's certainly worth giving him a chance.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tommy: I think he's just jerking you chain, with hopes it will make you feel bad, and not come back to his turf. Hang in there, dump there if you still can. Good luck.

OP
OP
T

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He seemed pretty sincere and is really helpful with the dumps. We have swapped photos of recent scores. I am pretty forthcoming letting him know I looked the coins over well and not to bother with them. He won't care if I keep dumping there but I think he'll hook me up. I don't know that he'd go out of his way to call me. I know another teller that only keeps 90% and she has given me whole rolls of 40%. Unfortunately other collectors are wise to her and buy her out routinely. She only wants those 90% coins and is helpful when I lay the occasional box on her. I usually pop in and see if she has anything and if she has a dump box or two I tack mine on. If she has a few loose rolls I buy them. Nice and easy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread