when to stop

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At what point should you stop and throw the towel in. My last six or seven boxes have been skunks. I wonder if the armored car people are sorting them out and saving the silvers. I guess i'll keep trying as it on;y costs me time and gas money. I wish I could hit like a oil well.

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The short answer to your question is..when it is no longer fun for you , you should at very least give it a rest for a while ! The bit about armoured car drivers ( couriers ) going through all the bags prior to you getting the boxes - makes no sense to me at all .

Last edited:

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
NEVER! *maniacal laughter* Er...well, maybe just switch up denominations for a lil bit?

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Well I went 26 boxes in a row getting 2 per week one time with nothing to show for it. Then the skies opened up and I got a box with 124 silver coins. Had I taken a break, maybe someone else would have caught that box? I say it is a hobby, other than a bit of gas driving to the bank, an hour or so going through the boxes and then turning them into a different bank to get my cash back, I have fun finding silver or not. If your not having fun, then it might be time to try another hobby. When for some reason my bank misses my delivery of 2 boxes, I feel bummed and depressed.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some places are sorting out silvers.

There are some facilities with machines that have the tolerances set to filter them out.

I know someone who is a coin consultant to a local facility.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skunk streaks are just part of the game. They suck, but won't last forever. Can't hit that big one if you don't play! If you're not enjoying it as much you could take break or slow down a bit. I just had an 8 box skunk streak, and haven't been finding very much silver but I still enjoy the thrill of the search, finds, and what could be next.
Reading the CRH forums and what other people are finding is good for motivation. Just gotta keep pushing through

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped when the banking fees became outrageous. I didn’t lose interest, I just could not keep up with the constant compliance required to avoid fees. Holding more that a half-dozen accounts, they kept upping the ante. I finally gave up in disgust. Haven’t been to a bank in four years, never will.

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friendly teller told me just a few weeks ago that not only is another teller sniping deposits, but there are significantly more people coming in and asking. Things are tough and more people have time to invest in the hunt. I take breaks but I am also at the 20+ box of halves mark without even a 40% just a few NIFC from broken mint sets. My wife has gotten more silver in her drawer at her job than I have in the last few months, and that is somewhere around 3 dimes and 4 war nickles. Try some other neighborhoods for CWR. The same coins get recycled in an area by the coin services..... When you find you are too frustrated with skunks skip a month. it changes the flow a little.

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just stick with it. The last four weeks I'd been getting brand new 1995 halves . Last weeks boxes had 78 silvers. You just never know.

OP
OP
J

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the input.....I'll stick it out.

da1984

Apr 3, 2009
I’ve gone 45 boxes in row. But then things got rolling again. Just depends on you.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At what point should you stop and throw the towel in. My last six or seven boxes have been skunks. I wonder if the armored car people are sorting them out and saving the silvers. I guess i'll keep trying as it on;y costs me time and gas money. I wish I could hit like a oil well.

I went on a skunk streak of 30+ boxes before hitting a dream box , if I remember correctly. Same bank. As others have mentioned, you stop when it's no longer fun or (as in my case) it starts getting in the way of other things that are more important.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearly there are coin counters that can cull silver - I have benefited from their reject slots on many occasions - but that's a very different idea than that of armoured car couriers culling out of the bags on the way to the regional re-rolling centers !

OP
OP
J

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't mean that the couriers were taking the silver I meant at the processing place for the armored cars. Sorry I wasn't really clear as I did say the couriers were and not the facility.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
If a 6-7 box skunk streak is making you re-consider continuing the hunt, then perhaps this hobby isn't for you. For those that are amidst a skunk streak, you will never have it as bad as SilverCop. That man hunted 20 boxes a week and his streak lasted weeks and that was at a time when the hunting was good.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 6 or 7 box skunk streak is nothing.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just from this past weekend boxes of dimes, went through 7 boxes, 6 were skunks, the other box had two Rosies.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you guys are making me feel great about my boxes. I have been blessed to not have a skunk streak this year longer than 1-2 boxes but also haven't had any great post worthy boxes other than one I sniped that another hunter had not picked up in weeks. I do get bummed when the whole thing feels clockwork and you go for the pickup and they are on vacation and forgot to order etc. I went down from 2 to 1 box a week and dropped the less productive but more friendly pickup bank. Its hard to find a good pickup bank. Its really really hard to find a productive friendly pickup bank.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow you guys are making me feel great about my boxes. I have been blessed to not have a skunk streak this year longer than 1-2 boxes but also haven't had any great post worthy boxes other than one I sniped that another hunter had not picked up in weeks. I do get bummed when the whole thing feels clockwork and you go for the pickup and they are on vacation and forgot to order etc. I went down from 2 to 1 box a week and dropped the less productive but more friendly pickup bank. Its hard to find a good pickup bank. Its really really hard to find a productive friendly pickup bank.
Im guessing you’re searching dimes.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
If a 6-7 box skunk streak is making you re-consider continuing the hunt, then perhaps this hobby isn't for you. For those that are amidst a skunk streak, you will never have it as bad as SilverCop. That man hunted 20 boxes a week and his streak lasted weeks and that was at a time when the hunting was good.

This. I remember this vividly, it must have been 7 years ago or so. And 6 boxes is nothing. I went 10 before finding anything, and I’m lucky. Obediah has quit, and this was after a 6 month skunk streak. He just recently ordered 6 boxes to try again and all were skunks. We have Youtubers and people who can’t keep their mouths shut to thank for the decline of this hobby, and it only is getting worse. It pays to be persistent. After awhile the persistence will pay off and you’ll get something nice.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread