ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing consider in the whole list of "what silver to buy and why" possible future scenarios is some silver will keep a premium if the price tanks. For example, generic silver rounds are going to be "worth" their melt value regardless of the actual spot price at that moment, whereas 90% silver dollars will carry a premium over melt at lower prices, Walkers will sell for more than 1964 Kennedy halves, Barbers bring more than silver Rosies, etc etc etc. As the price falls, the premium rises - and of course, vice-versa.

As for true SHTF scenarios, I personally don't think needing silver dimes to "make change" will ever be necessary. If things get that bad, "How much for that loaf of bread?" will be answered by "How much do you have?" It will likely take handfuls of silver dollars to buy any little thing, and thats if (and this if a really big 'IF') you can find someone willing to trade necessity items for hunks of metal. For true SHTF situations, the best barter items will be alcohol, tobacco, and even toilet paper. Also weapons and ammunition, but I'll be damned if I swap someone an item they can turn around and use to kill me and take everything I have.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aren't we missing the obvious?
Get your Ag stack for face value by culling it from rolls.

We used to have this discussion every now and then back in the "good ol' days" (which I greatly miss) on this forum. You aren't getting it for face value. There is expense involved. With silver in the $14-$15 range I can order it and have it shipped to my house cheaper than I can drive around to banks looking for it. It isn't nearly as fun, but its less expensive. Vehicular expense adds up fast.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aren't we missing the obvious?
Get your Ag stack for face value by culling it from rolls.

We used to have this discussion every now and then back in the "good ol' days" (which I greatly miss) on this forum. You aren't getting it for face value. There is expense involved. With silver in the $14-$15 range I can order it and have it shipped to my house cheaper than I can drive around to banks looking for it. It isn't nearly as fun, but its less expensive. Vehicular expense adds up fast.

Oh, my mistake. I thought you could just go and get it for face value, no extra expense.
Sorry for my frivolous suggestion then.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, my mistake. I thought you could just go and get it for face value, no extra expense.

When did everyone suddenly become offended by everything? How dare someone offer a differing opinion?!? Its not like this is a public forum for anyone to just chime in their own opinion or anything.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When did everyone suddenly become offended by everything? How dare someone offer a differing opinion?!? Its not like this is a public forum for anyone to just chime in their own opinion or anything.

I really didn't mean to offend you when apologizing for my frivolous suggestion.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In starting to amass a silver hoard, you might consider this. There's lots of high quality and valuable sterling sold every day at auctions yard sales and flea markets. There seems to be a knowledge vacuum re the excellent silver art from Ataxco Mexico and many other artists like William Spratling whose products from the early to mid fortys bring amazing prices. I do investment casting and all the purists say you've got use virgin or reclaimed metal. I buy items like this to use for retasking but often realize I'd benefit by flipping it to trade or purchase high quality reclaimed media. Same theory would work for hoarding .999. Capitalize on the collectors value to generate buying power for purer metals, but you've got to educate yourself on silver hallmarks and heritage!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
In starting to amass a silver hoard, you might consider this. There's lots of high quality and valuable sterling sold every day at auctions yard sales and flea markets. There seems to be a knowledge vacuum re the excellent silver art from Ataxco Mexico and many other artists like William Spratling whose products from the early to mid fortys bring amazing prices. I do investment casting and all the purists say you've got use virgin or reclaimed metal. I buy items like this to use for retasking but often realize I'd benefit by flipping it to trade or purchase high quality reclaimed media. Same theory would work for hoarding .999. Capitalize on the collectors value to generate buying power for purer metals, but you've got to educate yourself on silver hallmarks and heritage!
I wish I could buy, but they always want double + spot. They be waiting for a sucke...I mean victim.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sure you can. Right place at the right time. (can't remember the correct amounts) I walked into a Chinese bank in southern California and did my usual questions about halves and big dollars. She was cute but had no idea what I just said. So I pulled out a sample of JFK & IKE and did a couple of pointing gestures. Her eyes lit up and she bent under her counter and pulled out a zip baggy. It had several large coins in it. I nodded to her and pulled out some paper $$$ and made a motion to exchange the two. She counted out all the the coins and I think I had to pay around $12. I said sha sha nee and left. (I know more Chinese than she knows English)

I go to my car and pour out these monsters. There were Morgans, Peace and at least 3 silver rounds. NO IKES!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Cyberdan: you paid FV for $12 in coin, you have to be kidding me. Pics possible, I need a pic me up. GREAT catch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread