My Ike dollar on ebay experiment ended today, the full results and profit

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
I listed my 31 Ike's I got while CRH on ebay to see what the real value was and the auction ended today. There was a question as to value when I asked last month. First I will give you all the costs of listing and transaction fees:

insertion fee: .35
final value: 1.86
paypal fee: 1.66
shipping: 4.00

Total: 7.87

Total buyer paid including shipping was $47.00 and the cost of the IKE's was $31 :)

That leaves a profit of $8.13 or just over 26 cents per Ike. If the buyer would have chosen to send me a money order instead, the profit would have been $9.79 which is just under 32 cents per Ike.

Here is a link to the completed listing, and as you can see the picture is lousy and there is nothing special about the listing so it was not due to my skill. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120160168592&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=002

Upvote 0

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
hey been a while since I have been on here........... work has been busy.

I had my best luck selling my Ikes at rummage sales. one weekend I sold about 80 ikes and had $2 each and 10 for $15. Easier then listing on ebay but rummage sales are few and far between.

In my oppinion they really arent worth haveing a bunch of them around. It was ok to have some for the rummage sale. I did sell some on ebay too 500 of them to be exact......it was a waste of time. I did get my money back and a few extra bucks at least. And I still have a big bag of them at home.

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
It is a little bit of a pain, but I have time on my hands and I invested about 45 minutes of time into it. Nowhwere near the $30 an hour I was making before I went out on disability, but not bad for a hobby.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
That's crazy, how did you ship that many Ikes for $4? I sold a roll earlier this year and lost about $5 in the deal if I remember correctly. Shipping for 20 Ikes was nearly $6.00 at the US Post Office.

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
DrDetector said:
That's crazy, how did you ship that many Ikes for $4? I sold a roll earlier this year and lost about $5 in the deal if I remember correctly. Shipping for 20 Ikes was nearly $6.00 at the US Post Office.

My wife shipped them for me on her business account through UPS, but now that I think about it she probably does have a discount as she sends out thousands of packages monthly. Does anyone know the normal cost of UPS ground for a 1 lb 10 ounce medium envelope?

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
You can go with a USPS Flat Rate Priority envelope for $4.60. Charge $5.60 and make an extra buck.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I swear the people at the post office have it in for me. I dont' know why. They always charge me extra for all sorts of things, won't let me insure just about anything I ship (even though it's never been a problem at other post offices) and certainly dont' tell me which way is cheapest to ship. Oh well, I gotta use 'em.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DrDetector said:
I swear the people at the post office have it in for me. I dont' know why. They always charge me extra for all sorts of things, won't let me insure just about anything I ship (even though it's never been a problem at other post offices) and certainly dont' tell me which way is cheapest to ship. Oh well, I gotta use 'em.

Around here it seems Prioroty is the way to go.

They automatically give me a Tracking Number.
and you can insure Priority.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread