(Another) Newbie Half Dollar Question re : Marked Coins

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just finished box #4 (near skunk : 1 40% silver) and noticed something new.

In the previous 3 boxes, I would occasionally see (maybe one or two per box) coins with a black mark, always on the obverse near the date which signified that someone marked it to test if the rejects would show up in future boxes and give some indication as to the to total population of halves at that particular coin service.

This box had a good 120 to 150 coins with said black marks. I did see a coin with 2 parallel black marks and, for good measure, a coin with a red mark as well. BTW, I get Loomis machine-rolled boxes.

So my questions are as follows ...

1. when people mark coins, do they do so on every coin in the box or pick a roll or two to mark?
  2. should I immediately seek out a different bank which uses a different coin service or just chack it up to the luck of the draw?

Upvote 0

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
i just find it laughable that you get your panties all in a bunch about people making videos. I do know one thing though, you have no effect on people making the videos. You mine as well be yelling at a wall.
Apparently, you haven’t been Roll hunting as long as us veterans. If you saw firsthand how Youtubers took a dump on this hobby for attention, instead of being satisfied with good finds, you too would be mad. I also find it ironic you no longer hunt halves anymore. I wonder why that is lol. It works both ways, my man.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been CRH for years and can care less about youtube videos. I only stopped because dumping became to tedious when TD bank got rid of their machines. I decided since my finds didnt justify the hassle I would only search cents and dump at coinstar for free getting amazon gift cards. Stopping had nothing to do youtube or any other hunter. LOL you "veterans". Do yourself a favor and stay off facebook too then, unless you want to give yourself a heart attack.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Getting back to Blueberra and the question regarding the marking of coins that some have the habit of doing.

I find the practice annoying and occasionally costly to me. Here is what I posted about a year ago on the subject.

“Stupid is as stupid does.

I find that the marker morons, when they mark a winner, can depress the value of most clad errors and varieties by 10% to 50%. In a few cases, quite a bit more. Unless, of course, I decide to become a professional liar and cheat potential buyers.

Yes, acetone is cheap. I can make the coin look better. I still have to be honest and tell the buyer that it has been cleaned, and why.

I really dislike stupid people. I prefer not to do business with them.”

I really need more coffee.

Last edited:

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
No kidding there were far less videos about it. But there wasn't less people who collected coins and knew about CRH.

Completely disagree. There were indeed far less people CRH'ing prior to YouTube than after. A better way to phrase it is there are far more people that CRH now than there were just before YouTube, and far more people just before YouTube than there were before the internet became mainstream. Id hazard a guess that prior to that the CRH'ing population had been pretty much stable for decades.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I only stopped because dumping became to tedious when TD bank got rid of their machines. I decided since my finds didnt justify the hassle...

Stopping had nothing to do youtube or any other hunter.

Ask yourself why the machines were removed and why your finds no longer justified the hassle.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask yourself why the machines were removed and why your finds no longer justified the hassle.

They were removed because somebody sued TD bank because their machines short changed people. Had nothing to do with CRH. The silver is still out there, I just hate rerolling and taking coins back to the bank. I always felt bad dumping a few hundred in coins to my dump banks.

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Completely disagree. There were indeed far less people CRH'ing prior to YouTube than after. A better way to phrase it is there are far more people that CRH now than there were just before YouTube, and far more people just before YouTube than there were before the internet became mainstream. Id hazard a guess that prior to that the CRH'ing population had been pretty much stable for decades.

CRH isnt some big secret people. Anybody who is into coins knows that banks have them. It's not rocket science for somebody to figure out that they can get coins from a bank and search them. If you are against youtube, then you darn well better be against this forum too because it is advertising CRH too.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
CRH isnt some big secret people. Anybody who is into coins knows that banks have them. It's not rocket science for somebody to figure out that they can get coins from a bank and search them. If you are against youtube, then you darn well better be against this forum too because it is advertising CRH too.
Seriously how old are you man? This forum reaches thousands, maybe ten thousands at most. YouTube reaches hundred thousands, possibly millions. I can remember this forum being crazy active and still finding tons of stuff as a teen. It’s not a secret anymore because of people like you, who apparently are severely mathematic challenged and think they can run their mouth and still score good finds.

I’m done here. Call me old school, but I do not broadcast, nor do I condone the broadcasting of this hobby. That was the etiquette 10 years ago and I’m not going to break the tradition just because someone thinks it is ok to for attention. Don’t try to force it down my throat that it’s ok to either, because I know otherwise and have witnessed this hobby deteriorate to almost nothing.

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously how old are you man? This forum reaches thousands, maybe ten thousands at most. YouTube reaches hundred thousands, possibly millions. I can remember this forum being crazy active and still finding tons of stuff as a teen. It’s not a secret anymore because of people like you, who apparently are severely mathematic challenged and think they can run their mouth and still score good finds.

I’m done here. Call me old school, but I do not broadcast, nor do I condone the broadcasting of this hobby. That was the etiquette 10 years ago and I’m not going to break the tradition just because someone thinks it is ok to for attention. Don’t try to force it down my throat that it’s ok to either, because I know otherwise and have witnessed this hobby deteriorate to almost nothing.

Life must really stink going around with that much hatred. Your finds have not gone down because of youtube, or the internet. Apparently you are not good at math either. They made billions of clad each year and silver coins have not been produced since the 40% halves in 1970. So mathematically its tougher and tougher to find silver in coin rolls. It's easy to try and blame youtube and the internet for a cold streak. The fact of the matter is, CRH is just blind luck. All you are really searching for is somebody in your area has cashed in grandpas collection, or somebody's stolen collection was turned into the bank.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't like marked NIFC since I cull them out and sell them at gun shows for $1 each, circulated Ikes I get $3-$4 each. People at the shows, not coin people, like them. At least I feel I am getting something even when I am on a 14 box skunk streak and 25% of my last two boxes were marked with a red stripe.

Of course I really like bags from counters, my last one last week I got 45 40% and 12 90% so while I am on a skunk streak for boxes I am still getting silver. Someone dumped

3YYTSp9l.jpg

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going through 4000 halves per week, I have wondered how many are coins that i have previously examined. But that question is not significant enough for me to test it by going to the trouble to mark coins with a mark that I would recognize as one that I previously placed. I don't know what I would do with the knowledge gained by doing it, and I strongly suspect that there would be some flawed assumptions involved in reaching any conclusions. I already engage in a sort of CRH "best practices" by picking up at two branches of one bank and dumping at two, and occasionally, three branches of a credit union with a coin machine.

As a biologist, now retired, I used to mark/tag many different species of animals. Some received individual marks while others were marked in batches as cohort marks. But in all cases, the mark and recapture experiments had significant questions to answer, such as population estimates or movements/migrations, survival, or assessments of stocking programs. I don't see such important questions that require answers by marking coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread