1986 D penny roll. Are these keepers?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not much of a coin roll hunter and when i do, its limited to penny rolls and looking for wheat's. That said, for some crazy reason, back in 1986, i decided to keep a couple new penny rolls from the bank. So, the two penny rolls have been sitting in my little box for 32 years.

Today i decided to open one of the rolls and look for errors. I was surprised to see the pennies still had their original luster with no tarnish but some of the coins look to have tiny little black spots on them. I suspect its corrosion.

Anyhow, i noticed that more than half of the pennies have a flaw in the EXACT same spot on the back of the coin. Its at the top where most or part of the letters E and S in the word "States" are very hard to see. The flaw also extends to the letter O in the word "of"

My question is...Is this a common flaw and what is it called?

Notice the top left penny is normal where the rest have the same flaw.

FullSizeRender.jpg

i also found one penny with the letter L in Liberty with the same flaw.

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Finally, Is this "I" in Liberty considered a Double die? At one angle it looks fine but it looks very strange at other angles. This is the only letter in this penny that looks odd.
FullSizeRender_2.jpg

LOL anyhow, that is what i found in my single roll.

Do i keep em or trash em?

Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . . at the top where most or part of the letters E and S in the word "States" are very hard to see. The flaw also extends to the letter O in the word "of" . . .
. . . Is this a common flaw and what is it called? . . .
. . . Do i keep em or trash em? . . .

It's a fairly common minting error called Strike-Though-Grease. It happens when there is lube on the die that interferes with the strike. It is fairly common.

What isn't quite so common is that you have a couple dozen uncirculated matching examples. I have no idea if there is value in it or not. If there is, it's because of the qty and condition.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the info. Hmmm...i might be able to make a cool display for them and see what happens on Ebay.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The L is struck through grease. The I appears to be plating issues. The reverses actually aren't struck through grease. That area is prone to having a weaker strike due to the deeper obverse design in that area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread