Great finds! Customer Rolls 1917 s

lucas1889

Jun 28, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. I am new to CRH. Been doing it for a few months, and have had best luck with customer wrapped rolls. At my Chase bank, I usually get around $40. This time, It was only $15.

I was getting skunked with the first 10 rolls, but found many rolls that had about 5 wheats in them. I could tell just by looking at the edges because they are usually slightly rounded.

When I found the 1917-s, I couldn't believe my eyes because Prior to finding this, my oldest was 1937. Not to mention the condition it is in! I know the photo doesn't do it service, but it is nice. It looks to have retained some original mint luster. All the wheat ears are pristine and you can see all the groves. Im not familiar with grading, but it seems like a EF (extremely fine).

Additionally, I found a bunch of 1964 uncirculated, a bunch of1955 no doubling, and an uncirculated 1955 s, and a 1971 kennedy stamped. All of this makes me think that somebodies collection got dumped. The poor soul... Well now its going in my collection! Im glad I can fill out some empty spots in my folders with those earlier ones

I would be interested to hear your best finds hunting pennies.

IMG_1934.jpg IMG_1935.jpg IMG_1937.jpg IMG_1940.jpg IMG_1942.jpg IMG_1943.jpg IMG_1944.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

lucas1889

Jun 28, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forgot to mention the 1920's wheats. you can see them better if you click on the 3rd picture.

OP
OP
L

lucas1889

Jun 28, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It turns out that the 1971 that is stamped with an image of JFK is a commemorative. It still has the glue on the back from its frame.
Im curious to know if any of you find these.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It turns out that the 1971 that is stamped with an image of JFK is a commemorative. It still has the glue on the back from its frame.
Im curious to know if any of you find these.

Actually it's not a commemorative. It was stamped by a company after it left the mint, so technically it's damaged. Nice find on the 17S!

OP
OP
L

lucas1889

Jun 28, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh that makes sense. Its interesting nonetheless. Thats what I love about hunting pennies in particular; such a wide variety of compositions, varieties, errors, and other oddities like this.

OP
OP
L

lucas1889

Jun 28, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted a pic of my best foreign coins in another thread

Last edited:

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember trying to fill out a Whitman Lincoln cent coin folder in the 1960s. Like lots of kids, I would go from bank to bank on Saturday and get as many rolls of cents as I could and then search, reroll, dump at another bank, etc. -- week after week, month after month.

Living on the east coast, I had a difficult time finding 'S' mints but I eventually found all of the wheat cents back to, but not including, 1931S; however, I never did find a 1955S. Finally I was so frustrated that I just broke down and bought one (from Littleton, I believe) for 45 cents +/-.

I stopped collecting in high school, but I still have the folder (with a lot of unfilled holes -- mostly branch mints from the teens and twenties).

OP
OP
L

lucas1889

Jun 28, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember trying to fill out a Whitman Lincoln cent coin folder in the 1960s. Like lots of kids, I would go from bank to bank on Saturday and get as many rolls of cents as I could and then search, reroll, dump at another bank, etc. -- week after week, month after month.

Living on the east coast, I had a difficult time finding 'S' mints but I eventually found all of the wheat cents back to, but not including, 1931S; however, I never did find a 1955S. Finally I was so frustrated that I just broke down and bought one (from Littleton, I believe) for 45 cents +/-.

I stopped collecting in high school, but I still have the folder (with a lot of unfilled holes -- mostly branch mints from the teens and twenties).

IT is a lower mintage comparatively so it makes sense that you didn't find it.
Living on the West coast, I have the opposite problem :laughing7: I have never found ANY 2009P, so I spent like a buck and a half on the set to put in my collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread