One tellers trash is a coin roll hunters $ 8.41 (with photos)

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to dump some halves a few weeks ago. The machine counted $499.50. There was one half left in the spinning area. I thought when the machine printed my ticket it would send it to the reject shoot. It did not it stayed on the spinning wheel. I had a teller open the machine to retrieve the half. She did a bit of cleaning as the machine was open, and dumped the internal reject tray into the trash.
Knowing that this machine rejects silver I took a quick look in the trash and saw a few halves and other coins. Basically there were to many to quickly grab. After turning my ticket into the teller to get my cash, I stopped by the machine and grabbed the entire plastic trash bag. I retrieved $8.41 in clad U.S. coins. NONE were silver.

Keep on Searching

Dad and Tanner

Attachments

• waste basket coins.jpg
    waste basket coins.jpg
    771.3 KB · Views: 145
  • waste basket coins counted.jpg
    waste basket coins counted.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 156
Upvote 0

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice save I have pulled a lot stuff from the Kroger coinstar reject trays but never got the internal trash , what bank has counting machines in the area? I'm in the far western Detroit suburbs and none of the banks around me have coin machines.

Pete

OP
OP
gordon and tanner

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Pete, TCF Bank has coin counting machines, there is one in Novi (very slow machine, doubt I will ever stop at that branch again. Also in Brighton (Fast machine). Lots of TCF Banks in the Metro Detroit Area. It is one of the only banks I have run into with counting machined in Metro Detroit. Some credit unions have them, but I am not a member of any.
I opened a savings account at TCF about 10 years ago, just to dump coins. There machines do not have bags but a large 2'x2'x2' cube that all the coins goes into. The machines reject silver. I have missed a few dimes and a halve or two over the years, the machines reject them. They also reject magician coins. The branch at 1O mile and Ryan in Warren has a new supper fast counting machine.
Good Luck
Dad and Tanner

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the Info, I don't really coin roll hunt but would like to a little bit at least. Might need to open a TCF account just for fun.

Pete

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This exact situation happened to me a few days ago. Grabbed the trash bag on my way out. Netted $.98 in U.S., $5.75 in Canadian and a whole lot of other foreign coin... Oh and about $7 in car wash tokens!

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing what get tossed in the trash.

Man, I envy you guys that can use coin machines. I live about an hour and a half north-northwest of Detroit so that would be too far to drive.

When I started out roll hunting about ten years ago there was a credit union that had a coin counter about 20 miles from home. I used that one until they got rid of their counter. They told me the upkeep was too costly because some people ran keys and other junk through it and keep causing it to break down.

Nowadays I just pick up about $10 in nickels every week so I am really small time now, but I like reading the stories from the rest of you here.

My sister lives in Livonia so I'll have to check with her about banks or CU's with coin machines. I'd rather take them to a place like that a couple times a year instead of rolling them up and taking them to my credit union. I pick up my coins from my bank near work and drop them off every so often at my local credit union near my home.

OP
OP
gordon and tanner

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Scott, Another option may be to see if you can bag your coins. Bring them to a local branch. They would have to send them to the main branch to be counted and then credited to your account. We would not coin roll hunt if we had to re roll the coin.
If you live an hour and 1/2 north of Detroit your probably near Bay City or Saginaw. I would bet a larger bank in that area may be able to count a bag of coins and credit it to your account. Good Luck.

Dad and Tanner

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
As to the internal reject bin, I have several of my branch banks save me all the TRASH in a container of some sort (small bag, box, coffee can, etc.) and when it fairly full to let me know the next time I'm in, and I'll take with. Sometime some really good stuff, coins jewelry, etc.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad. a little profit is always a bonus!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread