CRH, is it WORTH IT ???

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been giving it some serious thought about if CRH is worth it anymore. I'm going to start record keeping my CRH miles driven (when doing bank hopping), my MPG driven during those miles, = Total miles divide by MPG = # of gals used, gals used x current price per gal. = gasoline cost of CRH trip. COMPARED TO: the number of coins found in those boxes of the trip in AG ounces x current melt price = Coins value from hunt.
Therefore: cost of trip. vs. coins value of hunt. IS IT WORTHWHILE

I know that there are other transportation costs that go into the calculation, as: insurance, license cost, depreciation, etc.
OR, could use the current IRS mileage allowance (i.e. $.52/mile driven) x miles = cost of CRH trip.

Now with idea set, does anyone else look at the cost comparison of the hobby to this extent ? Or, is it just a hobby cost irregardless ?
Comments, or a better idea. HH, DozerD

Upvote 0

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of us count our time as free. I feel like its a great hobby for me since I am too cheap to play golf or gamble or some such. I am a fisherman and many detectorists are as well. Last year I averaged $3.50- $4 / hr in value of silver. That same silver is down now so those numbers are only petinant to last year. I also lost money on gas, wear and tear and wrote my time off as fun time. This year for the same effort its been less than $2 / hr. Finding a Morgan or Peace dollar or solid roll in the wild is the only thing that makes it thrilling to me but getting Mercs, buffs, WLs, Bens keeps me interested enough to keep doing it. The coins are in better condition than metal detecting and easier to stack although I find less old and exotic stuff in the bank. Maybe I am getting burnt out too but I am going to try n power thru the Holiday season and quit after Easter this year unless things pick up. I just have worked so hard to win tellers over and set up this giant elaborate machinery to collect and dump its like a locomotive I can't just turn it off. I also have the compulsion to stop at every bank in my path.

I am envious of those that can dump $1000 at one bank. I dump $300-400 and generally have to wait for a bag change. We are down to one machine in my area! I am about to close my account since they did away with their machines, they're not selling any coin and it now costs to dump in a bag that gets shipped and counted. The BS is getting thick. The hobby always changes.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1- I get paid to dump....many a $$$ in reject tray silver, jewelry, clad, tokens & more
2- only expense is time to get, hunt, then dump
3- selling MS's, key dates, & MOUNDS OF ERRORS at 10 to 1,000 TIMES FACE :occasion18::tchest:
4- silvers are just an added bonus
5- the downside is----I use a lot of SOAP washin' the hands:laughing9:

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
For me it is like therapy. I have a real hard job and getting out when I can bank hopping relaxes me. The same with searching boxes. It never takes time away from my family.
PLUS, I will never forget that rush of finding 10 solid rolls. My son was with me and as we were driving away from the bank it was him that was opening roll after roll. Both of us could only look at each other and say "Holly Crap". We must of said it 100 times.
Hobby? Obsession? I love it

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep bringing in the reasons FOR, haven't seen one as AGAINST yet, good stories.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep bringing in the reasons FOR, haven't seen one as AGAINST yet, good stories.

One more reason: Lately, it has proven to be at least a good, albeit temporary, distraction from the stock market.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
When it feels like work it is time to move on or cut back. I'm in the cut back stage after a decade - still last week I pulled a roll of silver from one bank visit. It would be nice to see silver go over $20 again, glad I sold a bunch at $35!

Maine_Jim

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I did the same sort of analysis one year when I used to metal detect, I calculated the values of the finds versus the time spent, I found .32 cents an hour. If I were to calculate in the gas to drive to the beach (1 hour each way) or to various sites it was a huge money loser.

But it is a hobby. I have a friend with a 24 foot fishing boat and he brags about how he gets fish to eat. I pointed out that he could eat out everyday for many years at Legal Seafood's for the cost of the boat $$,$$$.$$ and the upkeep but he enjoys it.

It would be cheaper for me to calculate the cost of gas and wear and tear on the car to get coins and just buy junk silver but where is the thrill of the chase with that? I feel like Indiana Jones when I find silver....

Here is why I do it, the first two are $500 half boxes and the 3rd is from a partial bag ($386)

TSh2AJwl.jpg
1n8visNl.jpg
3YYTSp9l.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread