Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

This week, a picked up a box of pennies that had 4 wheat penny enders and I knew it was going to be a good box. Here's a close up of my favorite ender: 194?-S.

Screenshot (52).png

The box had 63 wheat pennies in total ranging from 1925 to 1958. I got 11 hole fillers out of it for my 1909-DATE collection book, and that's after filling it using 10 other boxes! Here are the coins that filled holes in the collection: 1941-S, 1925, 1952-S, 1930, 1951-S, 1953-S, 1939, 1948, 1926, 1938, 1940-S.

None of them are particularly rare, but I don't see too many of the S mint coins so I was glad to get some of them this time around.

Here is a picture of all of the wheat pennies that did not go into the collection:

image1.jpeg

This was by far my best penny hunt ever! Here is the video of the hunt in case you're interested to see how it all unfolded:

Thanks for watching and happy hunting!

Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good box. I've been getting wheaties in change lately.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Good box. I've been getting wheaties in change lately.

With the holiday season upon us, we should start seeing an influx of a lot of cents and silver, hopefully Wheaties will be included.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice box! :occasion14:

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice box. I've come to like your vids Quin, but might I suggest something?

The way you search a roll - scraping coins across each other - it's like fingernails on the blackboard. Any shiny, older coin will get some nice new nicks on it with this method. I know you prob do this for speed's sake, but even the lowly penny deserves a less abrasive touch, don't you think?

Keep it up! I'm glad you didn't stop with your first eight boxes.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Immy, thanks for the comment. You are right that I am trying to move quickly through the rolls when I do them live. Are you referring to the way that I use my bare hands in this vid? I usually don’t do that- I just recently ran out of gloves and will be ordering more soon. Also, the audio in the first 8 or 9 minutes isn’t my typical audio (it’s the audio from my phone which is a lot closer to the coins- this made the coin clinking noises extremely audible which I didn’t like). I messed up and didn’t record video and audio on my main camera for the first ten minutes. Sorry about that! I’m glad you’re enjoying the videos! I appreciate the support!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Quin,
We get our disposable nitrile gloves from our BJ's warehouse club. The last box cost 10.99 for 200 gloves. We're happy with the quality. We started using them for painting and although the thickness is not indicated on the box, they have been better than others we've used. Congrats on the penny boxes - makes me want to try some after the last 6 skunk boxes of half dollars.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right that I am trying to move quickly through the rolls when I do them live. Are you referring to the way that I use my bare hands in this vid?

It's not your barehanded approach, but the way you spread the coins out once you open a roll. If you notice in the link in my previous post, you put your fingers on the coins and quickly slide them to the right. Problem with that is you're scraping coins against each other in the process, adding tiny scratches to potentially good finds. There are gentler ways to quickly search.

Gloves are a good idea. Wish I'd used them in my years of searching, if only for the mess. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread