Coin Counting Machines -- Rejected Coins

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today, I was dumping a box of halves at the usual site.

About $100 into the mission, the machine stopped and the 'notify attendant' message was displayed. Typically, that notification means that the half dollar bag is full.

The teller opened up the machine and the half dollar bag had plenty of capacity left. She did find a foreign coin that was still 'in process' and she attributed the machine's stopping to the foreign coin.

There was a woman waiting patiently behind me for the coin machine and, after the teller left, she told me that she had spotted half dollars in the internal reject tray. This particular model of machine has the typical reject tray in the front of the machine (where I usually find foreign or damaged coins); however, it also has another reject tray inside the machine.

When I went to the teller (the same person who had opened the machine), I mentioned in passing that I had been 'shortchanged' by the machine a couple of times over the past few months -- nothing substantive ... a half dollar here, a half dollar there and then I told her about the halves in the internal reject tray.

She opened the machine and, sure enough, there were 3 halves, a Canadian cent, and something else that wasn't a coin in the internal tray. She gave me the halves. I believe I'm the only person who dumps halves at that particular bank, so I'd be willing to bet those halves were probably mine to begin with.

I'm not one to quibble about 50 cents -- I figure that sometimes I get credit for coins that were stuck in the machine by the previous customer and sometimes the machine takes advantage of me. That's fair game between customers and should eventually even out, but this internal reject tray appears to be 'free money' for the bank.

By the way, this same model machine is at a different branch of the bank. At that branch, it does not really like half dollars and fails frequently enough while counting them that I don't even bother using it. The last time I used it, the teller opened the machine upon failure (one of about four failures that session) and the internal reject tray had a LOT of coins in it.

My question to the experts : what causes a coin to end up in the internal tray vs. the external one?

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
At several of my banks with machines that have INTERNAL REJECT TRAYS, usually they just take the tray and DUMP all the contents into the garbage can without even looking at its contents. I've asked several times for them to save me the contents, but they often forget. Sometimes I've found some useable coinage, foreign, jewelry, & junk trash. One time several years ago, same bank months apart, I found a very nice mans ring twice, so it does pay to ask or check the INTERNAL TRAY.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542741370.905409.jpg

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've peeked inside when the teller opens the machine to inspect, spray with compressed air, or hit a reset, and have seen paper money folded up in the internal reject bin. Only thing I can guess is that someone had some bills in their jars of coins and dumped it all in. On two occasions, we have found small fossil shark teeth in the external reject bin. My guess is they might have gotten mixed in with beach coins found metal detecting on a beach with fossils.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just to prove a point!!!! Since my last posting above, about 2-3 hours ago, I made a trip to some of my Tuesday pickup branch banks. At one of my dump banks that I was taking coins to dump, a teller had must of just emptied the inner reject bin on the machine. Next to the machine was a small trash can, all fresh & clear of garbage, EXCEPT, some time earlier they must have just emptied the internal trash bin, cuz in the bottom of the visible bag was this small handful of reject junk., washers, elec slugs, foreign coins, and 1845 LARGE CENT. I couldn't believe that was in the trash. Goes to prove you never know what you can find in an INTERNAL REJECT BIN. Pics to prove : ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542750264.133569.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542750294.615251.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542750317.235749.jpg
Sorry about the angular pic, due to poor lighting at the time.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow - a large cent in the trash can. Next time, I'll move aside some of the paper trash from the top of the trash can to see the bottom. I wonder how much good stuff has been pitched in this way?

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion is that two coins go in the counting mechanism so the machine spits one in the rejection tray . I use the provident bank their machines hate half dollars as well !!

OP
OP
B

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a little more investigating and found a link for the coin counting machine that I use.

https://www.cumminsallison.com/us/en/products/coin-counting-machines/money-machine

Apparently, the internal reject tray is supposed to catch 'non coins' and the external one gets foreign and damaged coins.

It remains a mystery how those three halves were determined to be 'non coins'. I usually feed the machine fairly slowly to avoid jams and other problems.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a little more investigating and found a link for the coin counting machine that I use.

https://www.cumminsallison.com/us/en/products/coin-counting-machines/money-machine

Apparently, the internal reject tray is supposed to catch 'non coins' and the external one gets foreign and damaged coins.

It remains a mystery how those three halves were determined to be 'non coins'. I usually feed the machine fairly slowly to avoid jams and other problems.

That is a different machine than the one I use. Few of my halves are rejected (0 to 3 per 2000 coins at a time), but of those that are rejected, they are rejected repeatedly - and at different branches using the same machine. It is odd because I have weighed them and measured them and they do not differ from halves that are not rejected. The machine accepts holed halves - that are obviously slightly underweight. The rejected halves look legit - but could they be chinese counterfeits?

mdj

May 15, 2011
midwest
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best internal reject tray find was an Ike dollar '78 s proof coin. Beautiful! My only time.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice large cent! :occasion14:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dozer,

Thanks for the inspiration you provided to check that small trash can near the coin machine. This afternoon, I went to dump $1000 of halves and looked in the trash can. Sure enough - coins! When i thought nobody was looking, I grabbed 'em. One was a 1912-D Barber dime. Condition was low, only a G-VG, but that was a better find than anything in those two skunk boxes I was dumping! Thanks again for your post!

mdj

May 15, 2011
midwest
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that tip, Dozer.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor