Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dreamstime_xxl_6621817-Custom.jpg

I've been getting a lot of comments on my videos about how I call these coins "pennies" instead of "cents".

So I did a little research to find out what the precedent on this issue is. I found several old threads here on Tnet that I will link down below in case you want to read through them for yourself.

I personally call them pennies and I think I have a pretty good argument for why I do this. It looks like most people on this forum are with me on this. If you're not, I challenge you to come up with a rebuttal to the points I make in this video. Let's see what you've got!

And here are the links to the past posts on this issue:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/439851-its-cent-not-penny.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/342336-petition-all-crhers.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/280698-penny-not-cent.html

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tomato -Tamoto .

I believe unless it's a Test or game for Moula / Money ; It's a common sense things.

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never seen the word "penny" on a 1 cent coin. Only the word "cent". A penny is more of a British term I believe.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cent just means 100th of a U.S. dollar

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figure at one time or another a girl named Penny held the coin so I can go with calling them Penny's.LOL

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This should be the end of any discussion regarding pennies vs cents.
96FA54F7-4D4C-41D9-A549-D954E5BC8F0F.jpeg

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Awl come on guys, does it really matter here, we all know what is meant.
Let's not open up OLD wounds.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Penny is from Great Britain. In colonial times pennies were used then we started making cents. People were used to calling small denomination coins penny, so the slang term was still used. The companies that make boxes and wrappers are just using the slang. However, I firmly believe that when speaking numismatics the proper term should be used. That's what I try to practice.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Speaking of, I just went through my change jar and nothing life changing but a couple wheats and a handful of old coppers.
Adding to the pile is enough to make me smile.
Didn't get any silver, which is almost expected these days from a half gallon of random change.
It's always a fun ritual to check through it but I can almost guess the results beforehand haha.
I keep my nickels also but everything else goes back into circ.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Has this terminology problem ever been brought up to the U S Mint? What is their response? Or don't they even care.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are acceptable as the terms have been in use in USA for over 200 years. Why are we having this conversation?

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even the US Mint calls the 1 cent coin a "Penny".
Case Closed...

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just an exercise in promoting divisive bickering. But, that is right up my alley. So, . . .

It's easy, even for the laziest of hacks, to argue on the side of the majority.
However, having a majority agree with flawed logic doesn't make the logic any less flawed.

I hope everyone realizes that:
1) You really are not "taping" things on your DVR.
2) Pencils do not contain lead.
3) Peanuts are not nuts.
4) Kleenex is a brand name, not a item.
5) Kolas are not bears.
6) Native Americans are not Indian.
7) Most pre-1982 cents (aka pennies) are not copper, they are brass or bronze.

Right or wrong, these things are generally understood to mean what most ppl believe they mean. People who have grown up calling the 1-cent coin a penny won't stop just because it is not technically correct (for some hair-splitting reason). Just like the majority won't stop calling aluminum wrap "tin foil".

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? I go away for a week and this is what I come back to? Holy cow! Who really gives a rats ass?

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of all the denominations, I most often use the terms cents and pennies interchangeably myself for our one cent coin

For our five cent coins, I rarely, if ever say Bison five cent piece, I say Buffalo nickel.

For our ten cent coin, I don't say Roosevelt ten cent piece, I say Roosevelt dime.

For our 25 cent piece, I don't say Washington twenty-five cent piece, I say Washington quarter.

So for some people it's not okay to say penny instead of cent, but it is okay to say nickel, dime, quarter, and and dollar for those coins. So what, the cent cannot be allowed to have another name like the rest of the coins?

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
yes in britian or Europe or someplace over there yonder. they're referred to as one pence. i.e penny. old news.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions