Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last skunk box (yesterday) had several 2013's. First ones I've seen.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep looking, you’ll find the remaining P & D coins. I just got a handful of 2018-D in two separate occurrences last week.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found two silver proofs this year.

I am still looking for my first 1970 half.

About a month ago, while we were each searching a box, my wife asked "Are we ever going to find a 74-D double die?" to which I responded "Maybe not, they are rare". The very next coin I looked at was a 74-D double die, my first and only one. So I told her to ask if we would ever find a gold piece. Her next coin was one of those gold plated halves, of which we have found three, plus one on which the gold plating was burned off for maybe a few pennies of gold. I know that doesn't count as a gold coin but it was a very strange coincidence.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just 3 coins to go on my Kennedy collection through 2017, need a 2013P 2016P and 2017D (of course I also need the 2018's)
I have about half the proofs so far but no silver proofs. Keeping working on it.

Just finished a box that had several more 2013, three 2018P and one 2018D. They are finding their way into boxes & you should be finding them soon.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I am going to do an experiment, I currently sell circ Ikes for $3-4 each at local gun shows where I display my Boston Police collection and sell about 15-20 a show which helps pay for my table (also sell dated Buffs for $1 each and no-date Buffs for 50 cents each). I am going to pull aside some of the nicer NIFC Kennedy's and see if I can sell them for $1 each. I put these coins in a cup and let the people pick through them.

bweDvTfl.jpg

1wmDcvul.jpg

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found two silver proofs this year.

I am still looking for my first 1970 half.

About a month ago, while we were each searching a box, my wife asked "Are we ever going to find a 74-D double die?" to which I responded "Maybe not, they are rare". The very next coin I looked at was a 74-D double die, my first and only one. So I told her to ask if we would ever find a gold piece. Her next coin was one of those gold plated halves, of which we have found three, plus one on which the gold plating was burned off for maybe a few pennies of gold. I know that doesn't count as a gold coin but it was a very strange coincidence.

Sorry Megalodon, but you don't find proofs in circulation. Even if they originally were proofs, once in circulation they aren't proofs any longer.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I beg to differ, you cannot change the fact that it is a proof as proof is a manner of manufacture. Once they are in circulation they are either circulated proofs or impaired proofs.

Since San Fransisco only makes proofs a coin that was manufactured with the proof process with an S mint mark doesn't magically become a circulation strike. It is still a proof, but a circulated proof.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful Boston Police display. My favorite revolver is probably also the cheapest one, a police trade-in S&W model 10 "chief's special" snubnose. That little K-frame is probably a little too small for my hands, but just feels so sweet after firing the larger frames at the range.

Have you considered selling the circ impaired proofs this way? I save every one because they are still so beautiful, but I have no idea what to do with them. My wife and I found 8 of them from 1971-s thru 1989-s last night. I get a box of halves for each of us, twice weekly at different branches, and she usually outhunts me but last night I managed a '60 Franklin and a '67 40%er.

The real find yesterday came earlier in the day at one of my dump branches. Inspired by Dozer and his large cent find in the trash can beside the coin machine, I began peeking into the trash can and yesterday found a 1912-D Barber dime in the trash while dumping $1000 in skunk halves.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been saving my impaired proof with the thought of Ebay. I have tried regular proofs at the show but no one wants to buy even some nice cameo Bengies. Did sell a few Morgans.

I will try the CRH proofs just to see if they go, figure 3 each or 2/$5 and see what happens.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job! :occasion14:

Good Luck on the missing coins! :icon_thumleft:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a few Ike’s and 89 Kennedy halves in a collection last month
Where do I sell them and for how much? All circulated

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a few Ike’s and 89 Kennedy halves in a collection last month
Where do I sell them and for how much? All circulated

Check the dates. The s-mint Ikes are silver clad. The copper nickel ones are most common and worth $1. Because they are a novelty, I use them to hold down the paper money when I tip with cash.

The 64 Kennedy is 90% silver; 65-70 are 40%. the others, unless they are errors like the 74-D double die, are worth 50 cents each.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great collection youll get there!!!1

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I always watch for Ikes as I get them for $1 and sell them for $3-$4 each at the gun shows and people buy them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread