Best Locations for CRH?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would look for: 1) a variety of small & large retail businesses since they need a quantity of coin for making change, 2) a variety of different banks just so they all don't use the same coin courier, 3) find banks that have coin counting machines, or take back rolled coins, banks that sell bags of coin off their coin machines is ideal to pull in possible large dumps of collections., 4) the age of the community, older people tend to have OLD money.
I'm sure that other guys can come up with other thoughts.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to like smaller to medium size cities 50,000- to 150,000 - where the bankers are busy enough that they don't have time to " chicken hawk" everything that comes in (CWR) also they have a lot of active turnover of business , and they can get boxes/ bags of coin - and there usually are a few credit unions in these cities - and that is where the coin counters are - ( available to customers/ members)

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remarkable finds can happen anywhere at anytime. Your best bet is to mix it up as much as you have time/ambition for.

When I started, I checked many banks many times looking for tray finds. I would sometimes take a road trip and hit 4-5 small town banks on my way to medium size town and then hit banks in rapid succession until closing time.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Small town banks with younger tellers. They don’t know the value of a 40% half.
When I was roll hunting in the UP of Mich, the tellers always snickered when I walked out with all those 40’s.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small town banks with younger tellers. They don’t know the value of a 40% half.
When I was roll hunting in the UP of Mich, the tellers always snickered when I walked out with all those 40’s.

I don’t really have a choice, I live in a very small town. One teller in my main bank grabs all the silver she can. This is my bank for ordering so I don’t care.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I don’t really have a choice, I live in a very small town. One teller in my main bank grabs all the silver she can. This is my bank for ordering so I don’t care.
Sounds like a road trip is in order! I used to take a couple grand in cash and hit all the banks within a 50-mile radius of home, buying up rolls ‘till I ran out of cash. I’d do that a couple times a year.

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
I live in the NYC area and over the years, it has been a fantastic place for CRH - including Manhattan. Even if there are other CRHers, this area is so big and there are so many banks and turnover of coins, that there is plenty to go around for all.

OP
OP
P

prospector66

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2012
I tried a smaller town last week while in central FL for work. Went into a local bank and asked for halves. The teller had two in her in her drawer which I bought and then she asked the other tellers. One teller had six rolls, I bought two ( I don’t travel with a lot cash). I didn’t notice until I got in my car that they were marked! Had to look anyway and sure enough, nothing. I took them to another “national bank” and cashed them in. When I finished my next appointment, there was a regional bank nearby so I gave it a try. The teller had $9 worth so I said I would take them. He put them in an envelope and I left. Wasn’t really expecting anything to be there but when I checked them later that night, there were 3 64’s in the envelope! Best I’ve ever done, although I haven’t tried crh in a long time.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't find any silver unless you buy the ticket to play. Always buy them ALL if at all possible. Just like my recent ten solid SILVER rolls of halves, had I not bought them all and only one or two I would have missed out on OUNCES of solid silver.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close to work or home or on your way somewhere so you aren't wasting gas. The further you go the more expensive your silver gets in terms of your gas and time. Sometimes it is fun to go a town or two over to see what you have been missing. Last time I went it was the last time. I found savvy tellers and big dumps just like home except I was flying blind. Like I said it was the last time lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread