Solar panels in the news

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Heard on Bloomberg Financials the other day, about the big upcoming market demand surge in China & California, for solar panel required production & installation, which is going to drive the price of silver to AT LEAST THE MNIMUM, of $100/ounce or more, in the year 2019. I know that talk has been around for some time about the lagging price for silver, but this time the story line is being backed by SOLAR PANEL usage. Your comments for discussion, DozerD

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope so. People have been saying things like this for years but I hope it's true.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is only my opinion . . .

I think it is nonsense.

Anyway, why stop at $100, the nut in this video claims $1000 per oz. Full disclaimer, I haven't watched the video, I'm just going by the title.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
There were stories re: solar panel usage that would drive the price of silver as you mentioned. China has been installing massive solar arrays for some time and it hasn't pushed the price. I live in Florida and FPL will be putting in a solar array near my house next year. The size of the land that they acquired is over 250 acres. They need to plant a vegetative buffer so not the entire 250 will be covered, but it will still be a massive solar farm.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to sell coins, whether good or junk! At $100 I would have to think about it...

But every year there is a new rumor of 50 or 100 or 1000 silver

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If anyone really believed it would go to that you would never hear radio commercials offering to sell it

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Complete balderdash. Everybody and his brother every year says the same damn thing. This is all hype to hopefully get people to buy, and thus, drive up the price.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
LooseChange: let's let it hit $100 first, before Dreaming of $1000/oz. I was really trying to be nice, not greedy. However, $1000 doesn't sound too too bad now, does it. If it does, I hope everyone here on TN has a big stack.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Diver_Down. According to Kitco, PV panel production consumed 92M oz of silver in 2017. A massive amount, but several sources put average annual silver production at over 700M tr.oz./year from 2000-2017. Solar development will continue to increase globally, but silver consumption/panel is predicted to decrease as it is replaced by other metals

”It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future.” - Danish proverb

I’m no financial genius, but my feeling is that silver prices will be driven by currency devaluation, and potentially supplemented during times of market uncertainty, when investors are looking for a safe haven. Paper contracts in silver won’t cut it though if people call in the physical.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I just don’t see folks flocking to silver regardless of any type of future situation, not in this cardboard paper cut-out world.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I still have some of that $50 Hunt Brothers silver. Been holding my breath for almost 40 years on that.......

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a lot of uses for silver and I think big business will keep the price low, we all know they like to buy low and sell high. HH

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
There were stories re: solar panel usage that would drive the price of silver as you mentioned. China has been installing massive solar arrays for some time and it hasn't pushed the price. I live in Florida and FPL will be putting in a solar array near my house next year. The size of the land that they acquired is over 250 acres. They need to plant a vegetative buffer so not the entire 250 will be covered, but it will still be a massive solar farm.

I was wrong. It will be much larger. The largest parcel is 250 acres, but they have acquired other farms/parcels that will total 846 acres. It is going to be massive.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do not know about the solar/silver connection, but I do know that I've been buying lots over the years! :dontknow:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The Hunt Bro’s $50/oz silver would be today valued at over $150, when adjusted for inflation.
Today, it’s under 15 bucks.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our local military bases have been installing solar farms. This one is about 2 miles from me:

Holley Field
About 475,000 photovoltaic panels
Capable of generating 40 MW, enough to power about 6,100 Santa Rosa County homes in a snapshot
Spans about 330 acres, the equivalent of 250 football fields

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread