Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got a box of P's & Q's and some CWR Q's at my main source bank today. Nickies not available, so I take what is offered with consideration for THEIR needs. the season is high demand by business account, so I grovel when required.:laughing9:

the point of this ---- a NEWB tried to order TWENTY BOXES of P's :tongue3:---- now, if you're lookin' to irritate the brass, couriers, tellers and considerate hunters---- this would be your game plan. he then wanted halves in bulk to add to the stupidity :BangHead:. see how long you are welcome by the tellers--- nitwit :cussing:

no doubt this fool will re-roll and dump at the same branch :angry1:

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
got a box of P's & Q's and some CWR Q's at my main source bank today. Nickies not available, so I take what is offered with consideration for THEIR needs. the season is high demand by business account, so I grovel when required.:laughing9:

the point of this ---- a NEWB tried to order TWENTY BOXES of P's :tongue3:---- now, if you're lookin' to irritate the brass, couriers, tellers and considerate hunters---- this would be your game plan. he then wanted halves in bulk to add to the stupidity :BangHead:. see how long you are welcome by the tellers--- nitwit :cussing:

no doubt this fool will re-roll and dump at the same branch :angry1:
That fool is probably one of the YouTubers or learned about the hobby from YouTube. I've said it once and I'll say it again- we have YouTube to thank for the increased GREED of hunters. It's a vicious cycle. The ones posting videos are filled with greed, not just for finds but attention, and that greed spreads to those fools watching their videos. "Oh I'm gonna go try coin roll hunting. Hello, BofA?? I'd like to order 20 boxes of half dollars! What's that? You can't? WAAAAAH YOU ALL ARE *******S!!!"

GREED, excessive narcissism, and desire for ATTENTION are what is destroying this hobby!

List of YouTubers spreading misinformation about coins and bragging about finds in videos:

Couch collectibles (this guy is King of misinformation)
QuinsCoins
HalfDolla'MakeYaHolla (this guy is the WORST)
TreasureTown
RobFindsTreasure
SilverSearcher
JD'svarietychannel
Stack attack
DigginDave

Now, when your banks cut you off or your finds are completely trashed, you have the above narcissists to thank.

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
CC- It isn't just YouTube. They deserve the criticism for the increased exposure. But we also are to blame. As I type this message, there were 53 users that were viewing the CRH'ing forum. 4 of those users were registered members of TNet. The other 49 users were "guests". While we like to share our finds and digitally high-five those who have had success, we do ourselves a disservice by not showing the ugly side of CRH'ing. Those 49 guests should be shown what a heap of cra -err- clad looks like and the logistics of getting rid of it. When newcomers realize what the hobby entails, they are likely to conclude that it is cheaper to buy the coins at their LCS or eBay.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
CC- It isn't just YouTube. They deserve the criticism for the increased exposure. But we also are to blame. As I type this message, there were 53 users that were viewing the CRH'ing forum. 4 of those users were registered members of TNet. The other 49 users were "guests". While we like to share our finds and digitally high-five those who have had success, we do ourselves a disservice by not showing the ugly side of CRH'ing. Those 49 guests should be shown what a heap of cra -err- clad looks like and the logistics of getting rid of it. When newcomers realize what the hobby entails, they are likely to conclude that it is cheaper to buy the coins at their LCS or eBay.

You are correct as well. If more of us posted skunks and not only our best finds, it would paint the hobby in a different light.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We recently had a thread about "CRH - Is it worth it?". Many of us posted that strictly on the basis of automotive expenses, the most rudimentary business analysis proves it is not "worth it". Some of us pointed out that neither is metal detecting. I used a comparison to fishing from the boats that I've owned and how much more expensive it really is compared to buying that fish fillet at the seafood dept. It may be simply human nature for many activities to find some appeal among the get-rich-quick crowd. The facts may matter less than their own trial and error. IMO, few people (including us) are willing to deal with the hassle and expense of CRH long term. I used to do it in the 1960's when it was mostly silver and quit when I could make more money mowing lawns. The issue is how much actual damage the get-rich-quick characters may cause by their overzealous actions. I think its also like fishing in that respect as well, since the places we used to fish are often posted "no trespassing" now because slobs have ruined it for the responsible fishermen. I don't know what the answer is, or if there is a single easy answer, but the skunks just have to be experienced. Too many people will believe that their experience will be better than it really will be. That's why they buy lottery tickets.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Get rich quick? After 40 years of roll hunting I’ve found it’s not quite “break even” yet.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Meg - first I use a folding luggage cart, keep it in the car all the time it can hold 4 boxes.

I tend to agree we need to highlight our skunks and trips to banks to ask for coins and they don't have any. also the time to search and the gas versus just buying junk silver

I am in the middle of a 18 box skunk streak. The last box had over 200 NIFC but Not issued for circulation coins that went through a coin counter are worth... drum roll... FIFTY CENTS

I did get two for my collection a 2016P and 2017D There were full rolls of 2017 2016 2015 and 2014 BUT remember NIFC are not worth anything beyond fifty cents.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get rich quick? After 40 years of roll hunting I’ve found it’s not quite “break even” yet.

Breaking even is not bad. If we wanted to make money, I can't think of a worse way to do it than to drive around, incurring known costs and hoping we don't incur the random costs and risks like mechanical breakdowns or accidents. And what we really don't want to think about is the risk of losing wads of cash or being robbed or worse for carrying so much of it around.

If I really wanted to make easy money, day trading during this volatile market from the comfort of a home office, would be so much easier and more lucrative. All you need is a phone or computer.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meg - first I use a folding luggage cart, keep it in the car all the time it can hold 4 boxes.

I tend to agree we need to highlight our skunks and trips to banks to ask for coins and they don't have any. also the time to search and the gas versus just buying junk silver

I am in the middle of a 18 box skunk streak. The last box had over 200 NIFC but Not issued for circulation coins that went through a coin counter are worth... drum roll... FIFTY CENTS

I did get two for my collection a 2016P and 2017D There were full rolls of 2017 2016 2015 and 2014 BUT remember NIFC are not worth anything beyond fifty cents.

The variability is striking. One day, so many NIFC, the next, most from the 70's. I have not yet gotten solid rolls - of any date. I have been regularly getting 2018 P and a few 2018 D lately.

There is some irony in going to dump another skunk box and finding silver in the trash can beside the coin machine.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Breaking even is not bad. If we wanted to make money, I can't think of a worse way to do it than to drive around, incurring known costs and hoping we don't incur the random costs and risks like mechanical breakdowns or accidents. And what we really don't want to think about is the risk of losing wads of cash or being robbed or worse for carrying so much of it around.

If I really wanted to make easy money, day trading during this volatile market from the comfort of a home office, would be so much easier and more lucrative. All you need is a phone or computer.
The best roll hunting period for me was between 2008-2010, the finds were pretty good. Shortly after 2010, the competition came rolling in. Believe it or not, I found more silver at that time than I did thirty years ago in 1979/80, in which that time there was a lot of competition.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I was going to start another thread about that it is not worth it, but for me this year due too 3 dumps I found it was but I was going to point out that I found more this year than in the previous 15 years combined, but that doesn't help the cause, but to me those 3 dumps were highly unusual. For me this year the silver I found is more than the gas I spent but again if you worked a job and used the money to buy junk silver you would do better. I covered my gas plus a bit and got more silver than I would have with the $130 in gas I spent on CRH (that would be 18 half dollars for $130 at just under 15x face).

But again I don't do it to make money rather for the thrill of making a find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread