Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped at a bank that will sell me bags as they fill and asked if I could order a couple boxes of halves, they said no and they won't even sell boxes of dimes or nickels unless I am a business. That is 3 different banks including TB Bank that won't order halves, but the first that won't sell boxes of nickels

Starting to get tougher out there

Upvote 0

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
It's going to continue getting tougher. Thanks to all the publicity about this hobby, banks are attempting to stop it. It costs them money, and especially so when you have the roll hunters who don't follow etiquette and bring back the coins to the same bank, and the people attempting to order 20 boxes at one branch. It is unfortunate, but this hobby has come down to greed with a lot of people.

Also, coins are circulating less and less, so banks don't want to keep as many on hand as they used to.

I estimate in another decade, this hobby as we know it is going to be extinct.

I assume that when coin roll hunting dies, we are also going to see a huge influx in the number of self proclaimed numismatic "experts" spewing their misinformation on the internet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, youtube is one of the worst things to happen to the hobby. The vids give people a skewed view of the hobby, they are all about big scores with no talk about skunks People don't last long as most won't do the hard work.
When you can't get boxes or bags or CWR's and the banks won't take the money back then I will stop. One bank here "Rockland Federal Credit Union" changed their counter machines so they won't take halves and they WON'T take rolls or loose coins to you can't even deposit even a single half there.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, youtube is one of the worst things to happen to the hobby. The vids give people a skewed view of the hobby, they are all about big scores with no talk about skunks People don't last long as most won't do the hard work.
When you can't get boxes or bags or CWR's and the banks won't take the money back then I will stop. One bank here "Rockland Federal Credit Union" changed their counter machines so they won't take halves and they WON'T take rolls or loose coins to you can't even deposit even a single half there.

Don't get me started with YouTube. I won't stop.

All I'm going to say is, us serious Numismatists are tired and annoyed of all these kids watching YouTube and thinking their cent is worth a thousand dollars. I say it and many agree with me, YouTube is the cesspool of Numismatics. You have these ignorant kids (and even adults too) spouting off in their videos stuff they read on Google that a certain dated coin is worth x amount of money, and people are lead to believe they can actually get rich finding rare coins. It is all about greed. Many of these people aren't even into Numismatics seriously, but they'll sure jump at the chance to make money off of us.

I also dislike the CRH YouTubers with a passion. It is all about GREED and ATTENTION with those people.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Got 4 boxes today, 1st is a skunk...

I also got $100 of nickels, down to needing about 25 coins in the 30's and 40's and 50's to complete by from circulation collection....

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If those thinking of getting into CRH had any idea of what's really involved, how many hours, gas, rejections at banks, and worse of all the number of SKUNKS & NEW BOXES, might give them a little different perspective on the hobby, not a get rich hobby for sure. I agree to everyone's comments.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's exactly whats happening

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
2 skunks so far on the halves

2 1942P silver Jeffs
1 1937 Buff

1/2 way through the nickels

CoinSearcher1

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That strange, must have got tired of the hundreds of other boxes you ordered Just Kidding :). I'm 13 and every time I go on my weekly Friday bank run the tellers happily greet me and we have a nice chat. I guess I have the advantage as a kid.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My fear is that my credit union may do the same with halves. I'm the only one dumping halves, but i dump $1000 at my local branch and another 1000 at a different branch each week. My dumping definitely increases their workload since every dump means a bag change. I'll be bringing premium chocolates to the tellers tomorrow but that doesn't offset the increased work my dumping has created for them. I'm thinking about opening an account with another credit union with coin counters to spread out the dumping.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Meg I would do that right away

I opened accounts at 8 different banks with multiple locations/coin counters, a few I have never been to as they are about 20 miles away but I try to dump only once every other week or 3 at each bank and then only $400 so that it takes 3 different banks each time I dump but they only see me about once a month. Most banks allow for free checking accounts with a $10 balance

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ben, for that good advice. I'm going to add to my list today "join other local credit union" after verifying that their machine will accept halves. In addition to the low opening requirements, credit unions, at least in my area, offer the highest CD rates. No longer at an age where I can ignore and ride out stock market corrections and understanding that my aggressive portfolio would be considered very aggressive for someone half my age, I am making an effort to reduce risk, sell a few shares, and put the money in cds rather than opening a bond fun in this rising interest rate environment. I'm happy to open new 1 year cds in the low 2% range at a place where I have the benefit of a coin machine. I hope it shows a commitment to the business.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing you might try is to approach the head teller about trading boxes. Of course you have get the first boxes from somewhere, but that works for me. I trade a box of quarters, a box of dimes, a box of nickels, and two boxes of cents each Friday with my bank. That way they aren't ordering anything special for you. Since I count every roll, even machine wrapped, I guarantee the counts are correct and I replace all foreign (with the exception of Canadian). They like that and they get fewer complaints from businesses getting short rolls.
The only thing I can't get are halves. They have no other outlet for them, so they won't order them.

Scott

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing you might try is to approach the head teller about trading boxes. Of course you have get the first boxes from somewhere, but that works for me. I trade a box of quarters, a box of dimes, a box of nickels, and two boxes of cents each Friday with my bank. That way they aren't ordering anything special for you. Since I count every roll, even machine wrapped, I guarantee the counts are correct and I replace all foreign (with the exception of Canadian). They like that and they get fewer complaints from businesses getting short rolls.
The only thing I can't get are halves. They have no other outlet for them, so they won't order them.

Scott

I used to do exactly that with rolls as a kid 50 years ago, travelling a bank circuit by bicycle. Some of the tellers back then were annoyed by it. I only returned to CRH this summer when the humidity blinded me when metal detecting. I have standing orders for boxes at my bank and a regular pick-up schedule. My order is just part of their commercial coin order, so the ordering is little extra work. The tellers have to carry those heavy boxes from the vault for me but they always say it is not a problem. I occasionally offer to go into the vault because I don't like to see them carry such weight, and that offer seems to bring a nice chuckle. My concern is with dumping halves at a different location's coin machine. The tellers there have to leave their station to change out the bags and it seems like that is the time when customers show up and a line forms. I'm trying not to be a pest and risk losing the coin machine. I always pick up at a commercial bank and dump at my credit union.

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Here is a tip for those that have trouble finding a bank order boxes (more so for circulating coinage and not halves). Find a new branch opening. Many of these are stocked with a predetermined amount of coin inventory in their vault regardless of anticipated demand. It is a corporate decision. I had this one bank that was all too thrilled when I asked for dimes. They claimed (I never saw for myself) that they had a wall of boxes of coin in their walk-in vault. It took me over a year and half to dwindle their supply of dimes on hand.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opened an account at the other local credit union with a coin machine this afternoon. So easy. Then we went to our main dumping credit union and handed out boxes of Godiva chocolate for the tellers. They were so surprised to each get one; apparently, most gifts to banks are shared and I wanted each one to get her own. Then stopped by Safeway for a few things and walking past the Coinstar, pulled a 1964 quarter from the reject tray.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Two of me 3 banks I get halves from reliably each gave me a surprise, I ordered two boxes at each 2 weeks ago and they finally showed up but they each had 4 boxes. I was able to get 2 yesterday, cashed 2 back in today and got the 2 boxes at the second bank and said I would be back Monday for the other two boxes.

Now on an 18 box skunk streak

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ben,
When you pick up your two boxes, do you just carry them both out ? I use a heavy canvas tote bag from Lands End that my wife used to carry papers and student work to & from home when she was teaching. Two boxes fit easily, and three would likely fit - but I'm trying not to overdo things at both the pickup and dump banks. Once we go thru them, they go into plastic wide-mouth shredded cheese containers that hold 500 halves each. I like these because I can shake out coins at a slow speed that won't overload the machine. And the plastic containers fit into the same canvas tote. I keep developing my techniques and refining them as we go.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread