Calling all coin markers (esp. halves) do you mark 'em all?

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been finding a lot of marked halves. I was wondering do people tend to mark them all or do they mark a few or a percentage of the dump?

I am finding about 20% marked coins in a few boxes, but the rest could be virgin, or not...

I belong to 10 banks and they ALL use Loomis! Trying to find someone who doesn't at least for halves. There is a new Chase bank nearby, just opened, does anyone know what courier they use?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
As an aside, I wonder what is the stockpile of halves at Loomis is and how many boxes they put out in week or month?

I would assume it is FIFO, first in first out so your dumps come back sooner and rarely hit the bottom of the pile which in my mind if from 1964 and solid silver!!!

Anyone here work for Loomis or another Co. and give us estimates of those numbers?

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still don't get the purpose for marking coins and as many have already said I have found silver in rolls that have marked coins and always smile and say a censored word or two when I do. What ticks me off a bit is that I have found some coins that were in really nice condition for being in circulation rolls and would have been a nice addition to a set if it wasn't for the glaring mark on the reverse, etc. Even found one marked coin that had a nice die crack running from Kennedy's chin to the edge. No consideration for other collectors. If you need to mark for whatever psychological thrill/gain that provides then mark the worn/scratched up specimens. I still don't see the purpose but at least it wouldn't affect other hobbyists that CRH for more than just to silver stack.

-TwoYewts

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
As to marking coins, same idea I used when I had a lot of $2 bills that I had put a unique dot mark in the body of the bill and released into the wild. As yet I have not seen any one of those marked bills. Stands to reason that it is highly unlikely that you may NEVER see any of the marked coins due to number of banks involved, location, coin courier district covered, etc. Odds probably 1 : 100,000

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread