new to site

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, I am new to this site, and I congratulate everyone here on their finds. I know what it is like to be skunked for a long time as well as finding a large collection. I have CRHed since I was a kid - started with looking for wheatback cents in the late 1970s and 1980s and then figured out sometime in the 1990s that I could find silver halves. I have searched pretty much on a consistent basis since then, but not the volume that I have read about most of the members here do. I search anything but quarters because of the low return. I like CWR best and I do not order boxes, because I was skunked every time I ordered a box of halves or dimes. Like I said, I don't do a lot of volume at once - I typically go into each bank and buy $50 or $60 of dimes, nickles and pennies, and then ask for halves or large dollars. I have accounts at like 5 or 6 banks. This also makes it easier for me to dump coins back. I guess being in the NYC area, I am fortunate that there are plenty of banks.

Today I got about $120 of coins and got skunked outside of some nickel rolls. Three rolls had no coins newer than 1970, and I got 4 war nickels (pic attached). I though that there would be buffaloes when I saw that these were old, but there were none. Anyway, i am no way complaining.

Attachments

• 20181215_224738 (1).jpg
    20181215_224738 (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
Upvote 0

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site. There is a wealth of knowledge, jokes and jabs (in good fun) so don't be shy to ask any questions. Happy Hunting...

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess being in the NYC area, I am fortunate that there are plenty of banks.
Welcome to t-net. Don't disappear. You are lucky in one way lots of banks in your area. My entire county has about 5 banks. But then the county population is smaller than 20 blocks in Manhattan.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet.

Looking forward to reading your future post about finding a solid roll of gem 50-D nickels. They must be out there. It is a coin rare only because most were saved - at a time when saving rolls became popular. I've considered adding nickels to search for just this reason.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
CJ9: I would think that finding 4-war nicks out of $120 is pretty good. Congrats on your findings , and welcome to the forum TN. And yes, there are A LOT OF SKUNKS out there and they are growing larger. Unfortunately, we have NO bounty hunters looking for skunks.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. I didnt search nickles much until recently because i dont save any unless they are key date, war, in new condition, or pre jefferson. I think nickels are worthwhile because generally people dont know about silver ones so they are somewhat available. I will say that finding wheatback cents has been getting much more difficult as of late. Used to be able to get solid or near solid wheat rolls - havent come close to that in years

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions