Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By CJ9
  • 1 Post By Oquario79
  • 1 Post By cyberdan

Thread: new to site

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    CJ9
    us
    Dec 2018
    NYC area
    25 times
    CRH

new to site

Hello, I am new to this site, and I congratulate everyone here on their finds. I know what it is like to be skunked for a long time as well as finding a large collection. I have CRHed since I was a kid - started with looking for wheatback cents in the late 1970s and 1980s and then figured out sometime in the 1990s that I could find silver halves. I have searched pretty much on a consistent basis since then, but not the volume that I have read about most of the members here do. I search anything but quarters because of the low return. I like CWR best and I do not order boxes, because I was skunked every time I ordered a box of halves or dimes. Like I said, I don't do a lot of volume at once - I typically go into each bank and buy $50 or $60 of dimes, nickles and pennies, and then ask for halves or large dollars. I have accounts at like 5 or 6 banks. This also makes it easier for me to dump coins back. I guess being in the NYC area, I am fortunate that there are plenty of banks.

Today I got about $120 of coins and got skunked outside of some nickel rolls. Three rolls had no coins newer than 1970, and I got 4 war nickels (pic attached). I though that there would be buffaloes when I saw that these were old, but there were none. Anyway, i am no way complaining.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181215_224738 (1).jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	1661084  
    Oquario79, Megalodon and rook3434 like this.

us
    Sep 2015
    NC/SC Border
    293 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Welcome to the site. There is a wealth of knowledge, jokes and jabs (in good fun) so don't be shy to ask any questions. Happy Hunting...
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2006
    Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    1769 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I guess being in the NYC area, I am fortunate that there are plenty of banks.
    Welcome to t-net. Don't disappear. You are lucky in one way lots of banks in your area. My entire county has about 5 banks. But then the county population is smaller than 20 blocks in Manhattan.
    Megalodon likes this.
    at yard sales I am dollardan

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett Master Hunter 7
    623 times
    Welcome to tnet.

Looking forward to reading your future post about finding a solid roll of gem 50-D nickels. They must be out there. It is a coin rare only because most were saved - at a time when saving rolls became popular. I've considered adding nickels to search for just this reason.

us
    Feb 2012
    1955 times
    Coin roll hunting
    CJ9: I would think that finding 4-war nicks out of $120 is pretty good. Congrats on your findings , and welcome to the forum TN. And yes, there are A LOT OF SKUNKS out there and they are growing larger. Unfortunately, we have NO bounty hunters looking for skunks.

CJ9
    us
    Dec 2018
    NYC area
    25 times
    CRH
    Thanks. I didnt search nickles much until recently because i dont save any unless they are key date, war, in new condition, or pre jefferson. I think nickels are worthwhile because generally people dont know about silver ones so they are somewhat available. I will say that finding wheatback cents has been getting much more difficult as of late. Used to be able to get solid or near solid wheat rolls - havent come close to that in years

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    12085 times
    Welcome to Tnet.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    834 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    Welcome to the fold
    Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

#59 "Free advice is seldom cheap"

#92 "Never confuse wisdom with luck"

2019 Totals: Halves: 14 40% 1 90%, Dimes: 6, Quarters: 0

2019 GOAL: 300 silver Currently 21/300

Boxes searched: Halves boxes 7, bags 0, CWR 0, loose 0 : Dimes boxes 0, bags 1, BWR 0, CWR 0 : Quarters boxes 0, bags 0, CWR 0

MILES Driven 122

us
    Dec 2008
    Nice haul

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links