Very strange dime box, and a steelie

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up a couple of dime boxes at one of my branch banks. First box only had 1-Rosie, BUT second box was very different. Picked up one Rosie after about 10-rolls, then about mid way in the box, opened a roll to find 3-mercs , all in ONE roll., dates as 1929, 1939, 1942. For sure this was the remains of a collection that was dumped, all were in VG+ conditions. I'll take it, and keep stacking.

Also, started working on a bank BAG of cents, and what shows up is a gray steelie 1943-p. An unusual find since this coin should have been caught on the coin counting machine magnet, just got forced down with the rest of coins, I guess this happens. Just a very UNUSUAL find.

Upvote 0

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I had a dime situation like that a while back. Uge number of Mercs. I'll try to post it when I have a moment.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions! Keep up the good work! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The steelie, do some banks send CWR to the couriers? It could come from that

I would tend to think that steelie by-passed both the customer bank and then later at the coin processor machines. Either way, it still slipped thru the cracks, my gain.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some machines do not use a magnet.

I've gotten over a dozen steel wheats as well as hundreds of steel canadian cents from bags over the years. Did your bag have any Canadian cents minted 2000-2012? If so, the machine does not use a magnet for rejects.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
LooseC:: yes, the branch that sell me this bag DOES have a magnet, just slipped thru I guess.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice. Do you ever get to clean the magnet?

I have done that although it can be a pain with big fingers. At least here in New England Canadian coinage circulates without much problem, unless you pay for you coffee with all Canadian change, but you can spend most of it, at least quarters nickels dimes and pennies

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice. Do you ever get to clean the magnet?

Whatever coins & junk on the magnet they just dump into the inner reject bin. ( at least at this branch they do it that way).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread