Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Christmas silver or pure randomness?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Wood Butcher

Apr 2013
    Indian River Co.
    237 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cartwright SASS View Post
    I used to wonder how retired people said they had not time, well...

I CRH, regular coin collecting, stamp collecting, do gun shows to display my Boston Police Collection, rifle/pistol shooting, reloading, scrollsawing (portraits and Christmas ornaments), Genealogy, Photography, Astronomy (Trustee at the Seagrave Observatory in RI), Solar imaging ( Jeff Padell?s albums | Flickr ), model building, website building, Church, gardening, HO trains (building a home layout) I know I am missing a couple hobbies...

Thank you for the link to your images. Absolutely stunning images.
    There are so many it is hard to pick out favorites. But the group of B&W solar images really gets the imagination going and the Gettysburg group really makes me stop and think what it must have been like on that battlefield. Anyone with a few minutes would enjoy the tour.

An astronomy sidebar: We had friends of the family I did some minor remodeling work for who raised and created hibiscus flowers the size of salad pates. He also "just happened" to have an observatory named after him in SA. His name: Victor Blanco. Turns out his perseverance was instrumental in getting it funded and built. I guess interesting minds like to stay active.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    917 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    Thank you for the compliments Pete! At least at this time I don't have a problem staying active, although I do envy people who only have a single passion and can concentrate on it to the exception of all else, but what if you can't do it any more? I used to Metal Detect all the time, even found a Morgan Dollar in Maine. Then I got bad arthritis in my knees where I can't kneel anymore, so I simply went to one of my other hobbies...
    PetesPockets55 and Megalodon like this.
    Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

#59 "Free advice is seldom cheap"

#92 "Never confuse wisdom with luck"

2019 Totals: Halves: 43 40% 14 90%, Dimes: 6, Quarters: 0

2019 GOAL: 300 silver Currently 63/300

Boxes searched: Halves boxes 21, bags 0, CWR 0, loose 0 : Dimes boxes 2, bags 1, BWR 0, CWR 0 : Quarters boxes 0, bags 0, CWR 0

MILES Driven 420

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
    795 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Picked up 2 boxes of halves from my local pickup bank yesterday and we went through them last night. I took one box and handed the other to my wife. Usually she outhunts me and I take credit for it by telling her that I try to give her the better (sealed) box. But last night, my box yielded 11 silver, 4 of which were 90%, including a 1951 Ben. That's my best box in 12 weeks. Her box? One impaired proof and no silver.

Today, I'll dump at the credit union branch where I found a barber dime in the trash can, take the cash to a different branch of my pick-up bank about 20 miles away from the dump bank and buy another 2 boxes. I love to find the silver - but its more fun when we are both finding it.

I try to combine tasks on these drives. The dump bank is in the same town as an MVA where I have an appointment to renew my driver's license. This new "Real ID" is ridiculous. After driving for 48 years, I now have to prove that I am a US citizen and legal resident?
    They will issue them to the illegals though, I'm sure if I went to Mexico with a thousand dollars I could come back with a lot of original birth certificates.
    Coincrazed likes this.

us
    Coincrazed

Aug 2013
    150 times
    Coin Roll Hunting and Numismatics
    Quote Originally Posted by wingmaster View Post
    They will issue them to the illegals though, I'm sure if I went to Mexico with a thousand dollars I could come back with a lot of original birth certificates.
    Oh yes, let's not forget social security numbers and passports. Then you can go to China and buy fake U.S. Currency and designer clothes and you'll be all set. Heh.

us
    Wood Butcher

Apr 2013
    Indian River Co.
    237 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wingmaster View Post
    They will issue them to the illegals though, .......
    I guess you're right; any US citizen that illegally smokes pot, speeds, runs red lights, steals off his neighbors front porch, makes/takes other drugs, sells our national integrity to the Russians or others, lies to congress or the American people, etc. can obtain a drivers license pretty easily as long as they have the right documentation!

Documentation and emotions can both make it difficult for most of us to think rationally or obtain a drivers license. Intelligent conversation is the key.

And yes I can qualify for my next drivers license in spite of any weaknesses on my part, hopefully with minimal aggravation, but we all know what can happen once we enter the DMV.
    (I do try to minimize my shortcomings from the list above though, just to be on the safe side! )
    Megalodon likes this.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    921 times
    Well the MVA accepted my documentation but required supervisor's approval because some had my full name spelled out (such as birth certificate and truck registration) while some used a middle initial (like SS card and my bills used to prove residency). So anyone else required to comply with these federal "Real ID Act" driver's license renewal requirements should pay attention and bring as much with you that has consistent middle name or initial. I was not expecting that my original birth certificate and SS card would be photocopied there and a copy kept for further examination before they ultimately determine if I they can renew my driver's license and mail it to me. Hmmm, what could go wrong with that?

You might think that after having driven for 48 years, that they might have checked my vision? Nope. That was just a verbal question: "Do you need your glasses to drive?"

I feel so much safer now...
    Last edited by Megalodon; Dec 23, 2018 at 12:26 PM.
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

Running 2019 CRH: Boxes of halves searched: 43; dimes: 2
    Total skunk boxes: 28 halves, 2 dimes
    90% halves from boxes: 29
    40% halves from boxes: 93
    Silver halves from teller trays: 16 - 40% halves
    Coinstar silver: 3 quarters, 1 dime

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    921 times
    I used to wonder how retired people said they had not time, well...

I CRH, regular coin collecting, stamp collecting, do gun shows to display my Boston Police Collection, rifle/pistol shooting, reloading, scrollsawing (portraits and Christmas ornaments), Genealogy, Photography, Astronomy (Trustee at the Seagrave Observatory in RI), Solar imaging ( Jeff Padell?s albums | Flickr ), model building, website building, Church, gardening, HO trains (building a home layout) I know I am missing a couple hobbies...
    Wow. That's an impressive list! I got lost in your albums and will return to them on nights when I'm not CRHing. Beautiful pics!
    So far, and despite a family history of arthritis, I have been lucky. In fact, kneeling while detecting is easier for me than all the climbing over and crawling under trees (all covered with poison ivy) on the beach fallen from the cliff edge for 4-6 miles/day and slipping on slippery clay while fossil hunting. My wife can do it all with greater speed and doesn't need to recover the next day. So while we started to fossil hunt together, we now do it separately because I just can't keep up with her. I know several people who trespass across private property to reach the best fossil grounds, but I refuse to do that, hence a long and difficult but legal hike on the beach from our community beach access.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Dec 23, 2018 at 01:00 PM.

- Mark Twain

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    917 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    Wow. That's an impressive list! I got lost in your albums and will return to them on nights when I'm not CRHing. Beautiful pics!
    So far, and despite a family history of arthritis, I have been lucky. In fact, kneeling while detecting is easier for me than all the climbing over and crawling under trees (all covered with poison ivy) on the beach fallen from the cliff edge for 4-6 miles/day and slipping on slippery clay while fossil hunting. My wife can do it all with greater speed and doesn't need to recover the next day. So while we started to fossil hunt together, we now do it separately because I just can't keep up with her. I know several people who trespass across private property to reach the best fossil grounds, but I refuse to do that, hence a long and difficult but legal hike on the beach from our community beach access.
    ah ha, light dawns over Marblehead, now I get your forum name..
    Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

#59 "Free advice is seldom cheap"

#92 "Never confuse wisdom with luck"

2019 Totals: Halves: 43 40% 14 90%, Dimes: 6, Quarters: 0

2019 GOAL: 300 silver Currently 63/300

Boxes searched: Halves boxes 21, bags 0, CWR 0, loose 0 : Dimes boxes 2, bags 1, BWR 0, CWR 0 : Quarters boxes 0, bags 0, CWR 0

MILES Driven 420

us
    Wood Butcher

Apr 2013
    Indian River Co.
    237 times
    Well the MVA accepted my documentation but required supervisor's approval because some had my full name spelled out (such as birth certificate and truck registration) while some used a middle initial (like SS card and my bills used to prove residency). So anyone else required to comply with these federal "Real ID Act" driver's license renewal requirements should pay attention and bring as much with you that has consistent middle name or initial. I was not expecting that my original birth certificate and SS card would be photocopied there and a copy kept for further examination before they ultimately determine if I they can renew my driver's license and mail it to me. Hmmm, what could go wrong with that?

You might think that after having driven for 48 years, that they might have checked my vision? Nope. That was just a verbal question: "Do you need your glasses to drive?"

I feel so much safer now...
    Glad you got through it. Well maybe they are thinking of hands free driving making eyesight obsolete in the future?

I forgot how much of a PITA license renewal is. Got my last one (Gold Star on it for easier air travel) in 2010 after jumping through a lot of hoops like you said. Up again in 2020 and at least I have a passport now to maybe make it easier?

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    921 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PetesPockets55 View Post
    Glad you got through it. Well maybe they are thinking of hands free driving making eyesight obsolete in the future?

I forgot how much of a PITA license renewal is. Got my last one (Gold Star on it for easier air travel) in 2010 after jumping through a lot of hoops like you said. Up again in 2020 and at least I have a passport now to maybe make it easier?
    This is a new requirement for license renewal. The fed Real ID Act compliance for DL renewal is new to MD and i think it just started in 2018. I don't know if states had the choice to comply or if they could tell the feds to pound sand and then accept the usual consequences of non-compliance such as loss of fed transportation and road funds. Maryland always accepts all fed edicts because they don't care how inconvenient it is for the residents and because they can use the money saved to give away to corporations that supported them. The new edict is much worse for women who now need more documentation from IRS to prove their married name is a legal name. i expect many people will not be able to comply, or choose not to, and will just drive anyway.

According to the paperwork I received, a current passport can substitute for the original certified birth certificate - which is somehow different from a certificate of live birth(?).
    Last edited by Megalodon; Dec 23, 2018 at 03:31 PM.

- Mark Twain

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    921 times
    ah ha, light dawns over Marblehead, now I get your forum name..
    LOL. But my wife deserves a Megalodon moniker more than I do. I have seen her dig out a big Megalodon from the clay at the base of a cliff while being slammed by the surf into the hard cliff. I tried to break the wave action but it just swept me off my feet and threw me closer to her. Since she had a knife in hand and a determined look about her, I backed off...She got the tooth, about 4" when only about 1/4" was visible sticking out of the clay, but she was bruised for a while taking so much punishment while being careful not to damage the tooth.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Dec 23, 2018 at 03:35 PM.
    TxAg likes this.

- Mark Twain

May 2017
    Garrett AT Pro
    240 times
    Metal Detecting
    Do you mind posting pics of Megalodon teeth ya’ll have found?

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    921 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
    Do you mind posting pics of Megalodon teeth ya’ll have found?
    Will do - over in the fossil thread. I've been too lazy to take pics. They are hidden all over the house to keep the cats from finding & playing with them. Really have to do a much better job with displaying them. Maybe that could be a New Year's resolution?
    Last edited by Megalodon; Dec 23, 2018 at 04:04 PM.
    TxAg likes this.

- Mark Twain

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    921 times
    Since I mentioned this find in this thread, I'm posting pics of the finds mentioned. My wife found these in one hunt. The big one was dug from the cliff.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2123.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	752.5 KB 
ID:	1663305

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2125.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	502.3 KB 
ID:	1663306

- Mark Twain

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    921 times
    Those are my first pics posted on tnet. Old dogs & new tricks (?)...

The small damaged area on the edge is not recent damage. Those are common and called "feeding damage". Its believed that teeth like these were lost when the shark (this one would have been about the size of a school bus) bit into something like a whale, live or dead, and hit bone, dislodging the tooth. The teeth are in rows and a replacement tooth would move into position to replace the lost tooth.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Dec 23, 2018 at 04:55 PM.

- Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links