Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up 2 boxes of halves from my local pickup bank yesterday and we went through them last night. I took one box and handed the other to my wife. Usually she outhunts me and I take credit for it by telling her that I try to give her the better (sealed) box. But last night, my box yielded 11 silver, 4 of which were 90%, including a 1951 Ben. That's my best box in 12 weeks. Her box? One impaired proof and no silver.

Today, I'll dump at the credit union branch where I found a barber dime in the trash can, take the cash to a different branch of my pick-up bank about 20 miles away from the dump bank and buy another 2 boxes. I love to find the silver - but its more fun when we are both finding it.

I try to combine tasks on these drives. The dump bank is in the same town as an MVA where I have an appointment to renew my driver's license. This new "Real ID" is ridiculous. After driving for 48 years, I now have to prove that I am a US citizen and legal resident?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the MVA accepted my documentation but required supervisor's approval because some had my full name spelled out (such as birth certificate and truck registration) while some used a middle initial (like SS card and my bills used to prove residency). So anyone else required to comply with these federal "Real ID Act" driver's license renewal requirements should pay attention and bring as much with you that has consistent middle name or initial. I was not expecting that my original birth certificate and SS card would be photocopied there and a copy kept for further examination before they ultimately determine if I they can renew my driver's license and mail it to me. Hmmm, what could go wrong with that?

You might think that after having driven for 48 years, that they might have checked my vision? Nope. That was just a verbal question: "Do you need your glasses to drive?"

I feel so much safer now...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to wonder how retired people said they had not time, well...

I CRH, regular coin collecting, stamp collecting, do gun shows to display my Boston Police Collection, rifle/pistol shooting, reloading, scrollsawing (portraits and Christmas ornaments), Genealogy, Photography, Astronomy (Trustee at the Seagrave Observatory in RI), Solar imaging ( Jeff Padell?s albums | Flickr ), model building, website building, Church, gardening, HO trains (building a home layout) I know I am missing a couple hobbies...

Wow. That's an impressive list! I got lost in your albums and will return to them on nights when I'm not CRHing. Beautiful pics!
So far, and despite a family history of arthritis, I have been lucky. In fact, kneeling while detecting is easier for me than all the climbing over and crawling under trees (all covered with poison ivy) on the beach fallen from the cliff edge for 4-6 miles/day and slipping on slippery clay while fossil hunting. My wife can do it all with greater speed and doesn't need to recover the next day. So while we started to fossil hunt together, we now do it separately because I just can't keep up with her. I know several people who trespass across private property to reach the best fossil grounds, but I refuse to do that, hence a long and difficult but legal hike on the beach from our community beach access.

Last edited:

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow. That's an impressive list! I got lost in your albums and will return to them on nights when I'm not CRHing. Beautiful pics!
So far, and despite a family history of arthritis, I have been lucky. In fact, kneeling while detecting is easier for me than all the climbing over and crawling under trees (all covered with poison ivy) on the beach fallen from the cliff edge for 4-6 miles/day and slipping on slippery clay while fossil hunting. My wife can do it all with greater speed and doesn't need to recover the next day. So while we started to fossil hunt together, we now do it separately because I just can't keep up with her. I know several people who trespass across private property to reach the best fossil grounds, but I refuse to do that, hence a long and difficult but legal hike on the beach from our community beach access.

ah ha, light dawns over Marblehead, now I get your forum name..

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the MVA accepted my documentation but required supervisor's approval because some had my full name spelled out (such as birth certificate and truck registration) while some used a middle initial (like SS card and my bills used to prove residency). So anyone else required to comply with these federal "Real ID Act" driver's license renewal requirements should pay attention and bring as much with you that has consistent middle name or initial. I was not expecting that my original birth certificate and SS card would be photocopied there and a copy kept for further examination before they ultimately determine if I they can renew my driver's license and mail it to me. Hmmm, what could go wrong with that?

You might think that after having driven for 48 years, that they might have checked my vision? Nope. That was just a verbal question: "Do you need your glasses to drive?"

I feel so much safer now...

Glad you got through it. Well maybe they are thinking of hands free driving making eyesight obsolete in the future?

I forgot how much of a PITA license renewal is. Got my last one (Gold Star on it for easier air travel) in 2010 after jumping through a lot of hoops like you said. Up again in 2020 and at least I have a passport now to maybe make it easier?

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got through it. Well maybe they are thinking of hands free driving making eyesight obsolete in the future?

I forgot how much of a PITA license renewal is. Got my last one (Gold Star on it for easier air travel) in 2010 after jumping through a lot of hoops like you said. Up again in 2020 and at least I have a passport now to maybe make it easier?

This is a new requirement for license renewal. The fed Real ID Act compliance for DL renewal is new to MD and i think it just started in 2018. I don't know if states had the choice to comply or if they could tell the feds to pound sand and then accept the usual consequences of non-compliance such as loss of fed transportation and road funds. Maryland always accepts all fed edicts because they don't care how inconvenient it is for the residents and because they can use the money saved to give away to corporations that supported them. The new edict is much worse for women who now need more documentation from IRS to prove their married name is a legal name. i expect many people will not be able to comply, or choose not to, and will just drive anyway.

According to the paperwork I received, a current passport can substitute for the original certified birth certificate - which is somehow different from a certificate of live birth(?).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ah ha, light dawns over Marblehead, now I get your forum name..

LOL. But my wife deserves a Megalodon moniker more than I do. I have seen her dig out a big Megalodon from the clay at the base of a cliff while being slammed by the surf into the hard cliff. I tried to break the wave action but it just swept me off my feet and threw me closer to her. Since she had a knife in hand and a determined look about her, I backed off...She got the tooth, about 4" when only about 1/4" was visible sticking out of the clay, but she was bruised for a while taking so much punishment while being careful not to damage the tooth.

Last edited:

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you mind posting pics of Megalodon teeth ya’ll have found?

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you mind posting pics of Megalodon teeth ya’ll have found?

Will do - over in the fossil thread. I've been too lazy to take pics. They are hidden all over the house to keep the cats from finding & playing with them. Really have to do a much better job with displaying them. Maybe that could be a New Year's resolution?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I mentioned this find in this thread, I'm posting pics of the finds mentioned. My wife found these in one hunt. The big one was dug from the cliff.

IMG_2123.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are my first pics posted on tnet. Old dogs & new tricks (?)...

The small damaged area on the edge is not recent damage. Those are common and called "feeding damage". Its believed that teeth like these were lost when the shark (this one would have been about the size of a school bus) bit into something like a whale, live or dead, and hit bone, dislodging the tooth. The teeth are in rows and a replacement tooth would move into position to replace the lost tooth.

Last edited:

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Meant 50% of the remaining 75% that is why I was thinking 50%

More important is back to the thread...

No Christmas rush at my bag bank, so far I have searched 6 quarter bags and have gotten 1 silver, they come from a laundromat so must be searched before going into the couinter

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Over the last several days I have looked through $255 of dimes, $54 of nickels, and $21 of pennies. Went to about 6 or 7 banks. Only one bank had $4 in loose halves - others had none. Found the following:
All CWR except for $40 in dimes, $6 in nickels and $2 in cents

1 90% half 1964, 8 wheatback cents (been alot tougher to find these lately - 8c on $21 is pretty low), 1 war nickel 1942P, 1 1938 nickel, a merc dime 1935 (pretty worn), 1955S dime (BU), 1964 proof dime, 1977S proof dime.
Foreign coins: 2 10 euro cents, a bermuda 5c, a mexican peso, swiss 5c, canadian 10c, and british 5p

Merry christmas!!!

pic attached.

pic below 20181224_150440.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions