Coin vendors having short supplies

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm thinking that coin processors are in short supply of coinage lately.
First, I noticed the other day 12/19 when I got two boxes of dimes from one branch, both of which were dated just two days earlier 12/17. Coincidence, maybe, but even one of my other branch banks that I provide rolled dimes , asked me if I roll coins other than dimes, only because she said it's getting hard to keep supplies of other coin denom in the vault. However, if this shortage being present, may give reason for banks to refuse providing us CRH's boxes of coinage.
Your comments, is this a real shortage? Anyone else seeing the same going on?

Upvote 0

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I need to add to my previous post.
Thinking about it. I was shorting myself and and all other CRH's that put good time into this hobby by saying it is mostly luck.
We put in a lot of time building relationships with banks and tellers.
That is a lot of the success of this hobby. My 10 solid 90% rolls came via a teller saving them for me. I do not know if anyone else came into that bank between them being dropped of and me coming in asking for halves.
There is also all the time figuring out pick-up bank VS dump bank.
The banks I pick up boxes from all are supplied by Brinks. The banks I dump at are either supplied by Loomis or Guarda. I think that helps my supply line. I don't know how much they share.
My pick up banks will order me as many boxes as I want. My problem is not enough dump banks. There are no coin machines near me so everything is rerolled.
I do not consider myself a large CRH. I know there are people out there doing 20+ boxes a week.
You have to hunt smart.
I see so many hunters that get into fights with banks about what the bank will or will not do for them. Get over it. Banks are BIG business. They have their policies. Tellers have their perks. Find a way to work smart within your territory.
Yes, some areas are a lot better that others. I do have a lot of hunters in my area. All of the boxes I get are chock full of marked coins.
I know many tellers are holding coins for other hunters.
Be nice and polite to everyone.
I hope everyone goes beyond their goals in 2019.
HH

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post. Regardless of success, it IS still a hobby. I totally agree with building the relationships and hope to reach the point where tellers will save coins or CWRs for me. I do know that an asst. manager of my main pickup bank branch snipes silver dollars when people cash them in. She showed me pics of some nice Morgan and Peace dollars she got this way when she needed some grading tips. To her credit, she tells people the coins are worth more than face value and they could get more from coin dealers, but by then, the customers' minds were set on redeeming at face value right away.

Part of developing relationships is to reward our tellers. If I have a good month or two, I might be able to break even with the cost of Godiva chocolates I gave out at Christmas. BTW, it became apparent that tellers are used to customers bringing in goodies that they all have to share. I gave them each boxes so they would not have to share - and left no tellers out. Hope that brings returns, but even if it doesn't, it thanks them for not turning me away.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been giving cookies at my 3 banks that I get pickups from. Dump banks, not so much, although one of my dump banks got cookies when I got 5 silver halves (1 90 and 4 40) from the tellers in one trip. I will not reroll coins, too much trouble for me. I use coin machines which is why I opened accounts at 6 different banks that have multiple branches with coin counters. As I mentioned 15 withing 10 miles, if I went north of the Mass Pike or east of Rt 95 I would add about 15 more branches with counters. Unfortunately they all seem to be Loomis, pickup and drop off.

I realized that before this year I was only asking tellers for coins, not ordering boxes. The first two photos are from all my finds from 2010 to 2017 including two solid rolls of Walkers I got at BOA from CWR's. The third photo are the finds from this year, but 13 90%, 3 Walkers and 10 Bennies are in my Dansco Album.

aUi4RAQh.jpg

6YZnNc9h.jpg

xRGx3D3h.jpg

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
At my banks, first come, first served. I stopped gifting tellers because that was part of their education.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked if they would incur any additional cost to do that, and they said no, the boxes of halves would come with the regular orders once per week with the lower denominations.

The banks i talked to many years ago said the same thing. Each bank negotiates a set price for pickup/delivery. It has nothing to do with what is inside the truck or what they pickup.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could easily search more boxes, but the dump banks are my limiting factor and I hate to jeopardize the dump opportunity by exceeding some dumping etiquette, so I have limited my dumps to $300 to $500 per bank/week. I have four banks and none accept rolls of halves.

I only have one pickup (order) bank and two banks for dumping. The local bank insists on rolled and the other bank (25 miles north in Oregon) likes loose for their counting machine. I like to pay my mortgage here, they don't care.

Last time I was there I overheard one teller ank another if it was OK for me to cash in so much coin. (my teller was in the back running my coins) The teller said she once checked and non-customers were allowed only so much but customers amount is un-limited.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread