$9.51 (?) Half Dollar Roll

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm working through my weekly half dollar Loomis box. 20 rolls so far have coughed up two 40% silver halves and the attached coin (shown with one of the 40%ers).

I did a little research on Wikipedia and discovered that the British penny has a diameter of 31 mm and a mass of 9.4 grams with composition of 97% cooper, 0.5% tin, and 2.5% zinc.

A copper nickel clad half dollar has a diameter of 30.6 mm and a mass of 11.34 grams (40% silver has mass of 11.5 grams and 90% silver has mass of 12.5 grams).

So my question is whether this coin fooled a coin counting machine into thinking is it a clad half dollar (although it seems a little too light to pass muster) or if it came into Loomis' hands via some customer-rolled hoard from a bank looking to empty its vault.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• not a half.jpg
    not a half.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, the joys of the season. Its a CRH Christmas miracle. Let us not question the unknowable.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a recent dumping a quart jar that was nearly full of dimes that I dug I'm convinced those machines aren't as accurate as they want you to believe. When I got my printed ticket to take to the cashier it said I had 37 pennies, 7 nickels, and 13 quarters mixed in and I know for a fact that I didn't.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Garbage In - Garbage Out. You are basing your argument that the discriminator in a coin sorting machine is based on metallurgy and weight of the coin. When in fact, it would take longer with more error to sort. The larger coin sorter machines go on diameter. Now, in the case of a known denomination, (1 bag of half dollars), they aren't even sorted but just counted. The assumption is that the coins are sorted at the bank before turned into the courier. The bank doesn't submit a bag of coins that are mixed.

You can end up with different foreign coins, half/whole magician coins, etc. What likely happened is that you had some cheapskate CRH'er who realized they couldn't get $.50 for the Penny so it got rolled up with the rest of their dumps.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Over the years I have amassed several hundred large British pennys. Nearly all have come from half dollar boxes.

Time for more coffee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread