First bag in a long time

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
There are no banks with coin machines within 100 miles of me.
Got back yesterday from a short vacation. My wife knows that if the GPS says 3 hrs 20 min to home we can add an hour for bank stops.
Bank 1 no halves. Bank 2 no halves but I notice a coin machine in the lobby. I ask the manager if he would sell me the half dollar bag and he says that he would sell it when it is full. We go check $861.50.
He offers to take down my name and number and call me when it is full. However, he says that the last time they changed out the half bag was about 2 1/2 years ago.
Bank 3 no halves. Bank 4 has $220.00 in CWR. I buy them all (1) 40%.
We go back to bank 2 and I fill up the Half bag. The manager is very happy to sell it to me.
Very happy with what I found. More silver than my last 10 boxes combined. PLUS, my first ever silver Canadian half.
(1) 1956 Canadian half
(6) Bens
(6) 40%
The last few picks are of all the other junk I found in the bag.
20181230_074644.jpeg 20181230_143042.jpeg 20181230_143107.jpeg 20181230_143432.jpeg 20181230_143527.jpeg 20181230_143539.jpeg

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The heart charm might be .925 Serling.
I wish my two banks that sold me dime bags would sell me partial halves bags, bags are only about 1/3 full after about a year on the rack. I take my dump halves to two other same branch banks that refuse to sell me bags, they say it's against bank policy, but yet the other 2 sell off the racks with no problem. I think that it's just the paper accountability problem, they don't know how to reconcile the cash coding.

DenDigger

Greenie
Dec 29, 2018
NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought that those counting machines reject silver. I know Coinstar does, as I've found several silver domes over the years in the bottom slot.
Nice finds

OP
OP
silveraddict

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I always thought that those counting machines reject silver. I know Coinstar does, as I've found several silver domes over the years in the bottom slot.
Nice finds
This one sure didn't reject silver.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coin stars reject silver. My banks have other coin machines that don’t. :icon_thumright:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My banks refuse to cooperate...ever...they even want to charge me $5 to order a box of halves, and I have a business account there.

OP
OP
silveraddict

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The count was dead on.
With what I added it was exactly $1000.00.
Plus the extra pennies, nickles, dimes & quarters.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
My banks refuse to cooperate...ever...they even want to charge me $5 to order a box of halves, and I have a business account there.

I had that problem a couple years ago, in that they started charging me five dollars per box after I’d been getting them for a couple years. I responded by asking if there was a way around the fee, such as lowering my order. When the answer was no, my response was “This relationship isn’t working for me, I’m going to close my accounts.” I followed through, opened accounts at a different bank, And transferred all my business there. They still to this day happily sell me boxes of halves.

Recommend you shop around for a new bank for your business account. Let them know in advance what kind of relationship you expect and be up front about your hobby. With as much competition as there is between banks these days you should be able to find some place to accommodate your needs.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had that problem a couple years ago, in that they started charging me five dollars per box after I’d been getting them for a couple years. I responded by asking if there was a way around the fee, such as lowering my order. When the answer was no, my response was “This relationship isn’t working for me, I’m going to close my accounts.” I followed through, opened accounts at a different bank, And transferred all my business there. They still to this day happily sell me boxes of halves.

Recommend you shop around for a new bank for your business account. Let them know in advance what kind of relationship you expect and be up front about your hobby. With as much competition as there is between banks these days you should be able to find some place to accommodate your needs.

You know the competition is strong when banks offer such large cash bonuses (100 to $500) for new customers to open accounts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread