Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone dumped a collection of HSN coins, 49 of them. They were all in the center rolls of the box.

qLS8rO7h.jpg

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
4 more boxes of halves, 40% of them no reeded edges.

Was getting discouraged, no silver since the first box the first days of January.

Found a 1968 D 40% in the 4th box.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Went by the coin shop and bought 45 40% Kennedy's for $2 each that is 34 cents less than melt each!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 more boxes of halves, 40% of them no reeded edges.

Was getting discouraged, no silver since the first box the first days of January.

Found a 1968 D 40% in the 4th box.

Yes, same here - except the boxes are clearly not machine rolled. Every roll is either opened and re-wrapped or slit along the side. To me, this is even worse than regular skunks because there is no suspense involved - we know the rolls are someone's rejects. Interesting, out of 8 such boxes, one sliced roll produced a single 40% half - missed by the slicing edge hunter because it was hiding under the paper crimp.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went by the coin shop and bought 45 40% Kennedy's for $2 each that is 34 cents less than melt each!

That's an excellent price to put some silver away at very little risk.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Got two boxes today, opened them to look for enders, found only one, but that is ok as I haven't had an ender in about 5 months.

1967 ender, I am planning to hang onto the coins until Sunday when I will go through them during the golf tourney and then while the Patriots win the Superbowl and then return them on Monday Tuesday

oGKA9Nal.jpg

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the enders. I think it is the suggestion that more may be hidden within. My wife got a Franklin reverse ender last night but neither of us thought to take a pic. Next time.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There's always something exciting and special at finding an ENDER first. Maybe it's a sign of better things inside.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
The ender was a hint!! 14 40% and 3 90% including a Benji, ALSO a 2 headed 1964, not silver I think. At first I thought I had 4 90% boo But my first Ben for this year

8TRdmNul.jpg

NOVMllPl.jpg

Two 40% in this roll

1HYt955l.jpg

XuQMYpll.jpg

QStfr2El.jpg

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to the ATM today to get some grocery money, usually just drive past the teller but this time decided to ask for halves or large dollars. They said one of the tellers had some halves but he wouldn't be in for another hour. I called back before heading over, talked to the teller he said he had 4 halves, a 1950D 1961D 1962 and 1963! they claimed there were worth about $40, I said I would be right over. On the way there I bought 2 boxes of munchkins and when I got there I gave them the munchkins and got the halves for $2. I showed them on the phone app how the melt value of well circulated halves is currently $5.75, they said they must have looked them up wrong. They knew the value of silver but evidently this bank won't let them buy the coins from the tray.
OR maybe they were hoping I would offer more for them?

Az2IK0Al.jpg

ollTPaZl.jpg

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
The ender was a hint!! 14 40% and 3 90% including a Benji, ALSO a 2 headed 1964, not silver I think. At first I thought I had 4 90% boo But my first Ben for this year

8TRdmNul.jpg

NOVMllPl.jpg

Two 40% in this roll

1HYt955l.jpg

XuQMYpll.jpg

QStfr2El.jpg

Whats the foreign one? Also, do you find many foreigns from Halves? Guessing proofs are rare too? Trying to justify to myself what it'll cost me if I get into Halves :-p Thanks, and happy hunting!

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I find about 1 proof every 4 boxes, they aren't worth a lot since they have been circulated and collectors look for pristine ones. The foreign is a Balboa, not silver.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Finished the box with the ender, I haven't opened the roll with the ender as I want to show it to someone but I took a "family" picture of the finds from the box.
13 40% 4 90% Kennedy's (not counting the ender) and 1 Franklin. Will up date the pic tomorrow. OH also I of the 40% was a 1970S 40% Silver proof!

ind655Ul.jpg

IEtIFSyl.jpg

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a few of those Balboa coins - but no 1970, S nor D. I believe the 1970 half is an underrated date. Wonder how many of them were melted?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dumped two more skunk boxes today - now up to 19 consecutive. Not a contest I want to win. But at least I got a shingles shot on my way back after dumping and found 1.27 in the coinstar on way out of the safeway after the shot (no silver).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread