Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
The bank manager said lots of people were putting in halves...

:laughing1: Unless it's a vault manager/teller that I truly know I can trust, most of 'em mean well, but simply don't know what they're talking about. About every 2-3 weeks I hear something to the effect of "a guy said he inherited this money", "these coins are old", "guy brought in these halves from his basement", etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. I've had only one of those claims check out in the past 4.5 months since I've been back into the hobby: 92 wheat in 10 rolls of pennies ("guy brought in his grandfather's penny collection"). I'm not saying don't buy em all, I'm just saying I don't get excited anymore when I hear bank employees making outlandish claims.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing1: Unless it's a vault manager/teller that I truly know I can trust, most of 'em mean well, but simply don't know what they're talking about. About every 2-3 weeks I hear something to the effect of "a guy said he inherited this money", "these coins are old", "guy brought in these halves from his basement", etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. I've had only one of those claims check out in the past 4.5 months since I've been back into the hobby: 92 wheat in 10 rolls of pennies ("guy brought in his grandfather's penny collection"). I'm not saying don't buy em all, I'm just saying I don't get excited anymore when I hear bank employees making outlandish claims.

I asked them directly if it was one or two people like me who search halves ( I never dump at pickup locations and they know that). The last time they told it was one person who dumped about $700, still found a couple 40%ers from the remainder. This time the manager said she had someone ask her how to use it (that rules out a CRHer) and said it was busy but I think she might have been off when it was dumped as it filled way too fast, it should take at least a year, this was 5 months.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I once had a half $ bag sit on the machine for about 16-months before I recovered it.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless someone is dumping the bags fill vvveeerrrryyyy slow...

finished the bag and two boxes, 1 40% 1967 in the bag and 1 40% 1968 in the boxes, did get a 1993S clad proof I needed for my Dansco album.

due to the holiday no new boxes until next week

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Went through 5,000 Quarters and finally found my first "W" quarter a Lowell

gE2wpjWh.jpg

phkIHtph.jpg

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
SO going through two boxes of halves, 1 40% and one Obama colored coin, still $400 to check

Just got back from the bank, picked up a $500 box of quarters and a bag of quarters off the machine, but don't expect any silver as a laundra mat dumps there but I am looking for W's

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
two more boxes both skunks...

but when dumping the halves in coin counters I found a 1909 Indian in the reject tray, not good shape but still..

6gB2UiDh.jpg

VdyQxJ5h.jpg

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Got 2 boxes of halves today (2 more coming tomorrow)

Missed an ender, when I opened the roll the end coin was a 1964 reverse side out.

Half way through first box and 3 S proof (not silver) 4 40% and 3 90% 1964's

so far so good

Also the branch manager asked me to bring in some regular halves for a customer who wants them to give out for the tooth fairy. I put together 2 rolls of NIFC's and will drop them off tomorrow

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
always check the reject tray, I do before and after, this was the before, and then a bit of silver in my first box today

8GF7jVAl.jpg

This is the results of the first box

fjJ6XOQh.jpg

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
two more boxes today, out of the 4 boxes I am working this weekend, 2 skunks and the one above. Still have 1 box to go

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
starting to get discouraged, the 8 silvers above were the first in a long time, two more boxes no silver, just got 2 more boxes - no enders will go through them soon

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
SO not a total skunk, in the second box I got a 1948 Franklin half.

Just brought home a quarter bag fresh off the counting machine, not expecting any silver, but looking for "W"s

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Let us know the results of a QUARTER bag, be interesting to see if any holiday silver is coming your way.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Let us know the results of a QUARTER bag, be interesting to see if any holiday silver is coming your way.

I doubt it, hard to find silver quarters. Also the bank has a contract with a laundromat that dumps their coins there. I am looking for "W"s

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
about 1/2 way through the bag and FOUND a silver, 1957 D Washington. I wasn't expecting that! No "W"s so far

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt it, hard to find silver quarters. Also the bank has a contract with a laundromat that dumps their coins there. I am looking for "W"s

Apparently, you have found the trick to finding a silver quarter - just post here that you don't expect one.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
ending the thread, very sparse on silver this year, virtually non-existent since June, 3 90% and 8 40% total in 6 months. went about 700 miles to get that, the cost of gas alone was $102. for that I could have purchased 10 90% and roughly 20 40% more or less. The dealer I go to allows me to go through his junk silver looking for dates. I put together a set of Walkers with the exception of 4 dates from his junk silver. But it is still the thrill of the case.

Happy New Year everyone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread