2018 Totals and Long Time No See

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone! I haven't stopped by in a while, but I started hunting again in early 2017. Things have changed in my neck of the woods quite a bit, so I started off slow in that year. By the end of 2017 I was back up to hunting close to 20 boxes a week. Silver finds were no where near as good as before when I did this, but I was finding enough silver to keep me interested. 2018 was the first full year I got back into hunting decent volume of halves. Unfortunately, the browser on my phone won't allow me to sign into this site, so my updates have been extremely sporadic. I thought it would be good to log in and share how my year wrapped up with all of you.

I searched roughly 20 boxes every week for the entirety of 2018. For most of the year I would search 24 boxes one week per month and 20 boxes a week the rest of the month. As usual, there would be some weeks that one bank or another would forget to order for me. I think my totals ended up pretty good:

Total silver found via rolls, teller trays, and coinstars: 297.0791 Troy ounces

I'll make a quick breakdown of US coins followed by the oddballs (This does not include the handful of Canadian silver coins which account for the discrepancy between the total and the breakdown):

Coinstar:
90% Dimes: 9
90% Quarters: 2

Register/Change Finds:
90% Quarters: 2

Box Searching:

90% Dimes: 19
40% Halves: 1163
90% Halves: 336

Highlights:

This year was actually pretty good for abnormal finds in my boxes. I found my first ever 80% silver Canadian half in a box. I found my oldest CRH coin ever and first 92.5% Silver Half: 1876 Newfoundland Half. I found 62 Walkers, 3 modern silver proofs in rough shape, a 1923 S Monroe Adams Silver commemmorative half, 63 Franklins, 3x 1970D, a silver bicentennial, 2 40% silver proofs, 2 SMS 40%, and 2 1982 Washington Silver Commemmoratives.

All in all, I think that was a pretty damn good haul of rarer coins. I'm also overall pleased with how the year turned out, since there were at least 3 skunks streaks that each dragged on for 3-5 weeks. Luckily the end of the summer and then the end of the fall really turned on with some decent boxes. I forget what my highest number of enders and highest silver coin count per box was, but none of them broke my previous bests. Note: I have still never gotten a dream box. I think my best ever box was something like 83 silvers with 75% being 90% silver coins. I definitely didnt beat that this year, but had a handful of 20-30 silver boxes and may have had one with ~40 silvers, but I'm kind of guessing at this point. If anyone wants to see any of the coins let me know. I can probably dig them out and take some pictures. Thanks for reading and thank you all for continuing to contribute to this great site. Even though I rarely post this days, I still lurk quite a bit.

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic year, congratulations! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions