Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Returned my dimes from the $1000 dime bag to 3 different banks coiunters.

I ended up with $979.

I took 7 SILVER dimes out and probably dropped at least 3 under my desk, that means it should have been $999. There were a bunch of pennies, probably 20 or so, so call it $998

SO either the bag is short or the counters are wrong. I don't dump where I get bags or boxes so ...

My feeling is that it could be a combination of both.

Upvote 0

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I stopped dimes.
I always hated hearing the total was xx.03 when I knew I had all dimes.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Unfortunately, that’s the risk you take getting bags, especially dime bags. Cent bags are better, because whatever coin their counter mistakes as a penny is almost always going to be more valuable than one cent.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dime bags are usually over what I pay but thats the risk. Also the risk buying customer wrapped rolls but you can say no thanks to a short roll. I think its $20 / lb on cupronickel coinage so a scale could come in handy if you plan on buying more bags. I buy them where they are heaviest lol.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coin counting machines are notorious for coming up with a short count.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just opened a Loomis qtr. box-- one roll stands out as shorter than the others-- 216 grams--- 2 coins short.:BangHead:

could it be????----
a silver GW hiding in those rolls????----
a Jesuit treasure medallion????----
a few dead caribou steels????----
we'll let you know---- after I finish my search...........................
in the WAR ROOM with Rick, Marty, metal detection EXPERT GAWWY DWAYTON, and the team(even the bearded bobbleheaded bald dork)..............:laughing9:

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TD Bank was sued for shorting people with the coin counters. They lost and paid back some (very little) what they stole from us.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin counting machines are notorious for coming up with a short count.

When I was real heavy into cents and halves I bought an old bank coin counter. Well Fargo gladly accepted the heavy duty clear bags as a deposit from me. (they even gave to me for free) It probably weighed 50-60 lbs and was 2 feet wide. As you all know coins are dirty. If I kept me machine clean it was very accurate. Well never sent me a note saying I was short or over.

Coins spun in a big tray at the top and then were released one at a time onto a long shute as the went down this shute (like a slide) they would drop into the correct drawer. About every hour of use or so. I would clean the coins path with rubbing alcohol and then spray with a dry moly grease.

When I dump at one bank they have a counter and I can hear it in the back clunking away. I can tell she is feeding it pretty slow. It is always accurate. I have no idea if these tellers do any upkeep so I would never trust 1¢ 5¢ or 10¢

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I doubt they ever clean the coin counters, when they have to open them most of them don't even know how to.

I feed coins slowly and have never been shorted on halves, which is 90+% of what I do. I am ASSUMING that either the dime bag was short or when I dumped it didn't count them all. I will be getting another dime bag and then count every coin as I check them and put $200 even in each coffee can and then monitor each of the counters I use to dump.
I prefer bags to BWR/boxes BUT the best score of dimes I ever have was when I bought all the BWR rolls a teller had in her drawer, I found 21 silver dimes, so you never know...

maybe I will just do boxes, but you hate to give up the chance of a customer dump

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben: if you refer back to my January 2017 posting of a dream MWR box of dimes with 98-silvers, ( 65-merc & 33-Rosies), will be one that I will never forget. Just hope it will happen again, I loved the excitement it created, even if it was just to me at one in the morning.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
When I purchased Dime bags, I once got shorted $20. I was pretty upset and never went back to that back branch except with customer rolled halves.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben: yep, even just one 40%. Me too, just one Rosie. That reminds me of checking a dime box last night, gone thru the entire box and nothing, finally in the VERY LAST ROLL, a white rim Rosie appears, what a sigh of relief.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
For almost three years I dumped $500 bags of dimes at my CU. I searched boxes and CWR. I never counted coins and the CU sent the bags out without counting. They told me the courier weighed the bags and allowed for an over/under count of so many percent! Never once an issue.

When I did dump through a counter, my CU knew I was dumping dimes only. Many times dozens of dimes were counted as cents, and ended up in the cent bag. My CU would always credit me for the miscount.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
For almost three years I dumped $500 bags of dimes at my CU. I searched boxes and CWR. I never counted coins and the CU sent the bags out without counting. They told me the courier weighed the bags and allowed for an over/under count of so many percent! Never once an issue.

When I did dump through a counter, my CU knew I was dumping dimes only. Many times dozens of dimes were counted as cents, and ended up in the cent bag. My CU would always credit me for the miscount.

That makes me think of something, I never look at the receipt other than for the total amount, I will watch it next time for the individual denominations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread